Canister Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ganiel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a specific part/area of the canister filter thats serving as nitrates repositories? I'll be cleaning my filters this weekend and will be replacing some media with Chemi Pure Elite and Im also thinking of getting rid of the white filter polishing pads. Will removing those white pads help or are there any other mods I can do to prevent or reduce nitrates build up in my filters. I still cant build a sump/ refugium so I have to survive using my canisters for the mean. Thanks for your replies in advance.

huma-huma said:
Replace your filter media with live rock and itll take care of nitrate issues

Can I get rid of the polishing pads? Coz I notice a lot of dead material is being trapped there.

huma-huma said:
Could, what alls in there

It has ceramics in the top tray, bioballs in the middle and activated carbon in the bottom. I'm planning on replacing the activated carbon with Chemi Pure Elite and now thinking of putting crumbled live rocks in the near future. Oh btw my filter is Marineland C-360. My lfs suggested replacing the ceramics media with Fluval Bio-something but I'm now thinking of replacing them with live rocks gradually so not to start a mini cycle.

In pretty sure the bioballs are where the nitrates build up but either way replacing it with LR gradually will be more effective once its fully switched

I have a question now too... We have a 90 gallon with a fluval 405. We have live rock and live sand in the dt. If we take out the bio cubes and sponges to replace with live rock in the canister do we have to do it gradually or can we just jump right in and do it? I want to leave the floss and carbon to help with oder and keep the water clear but I don't want to start another cycle.

Wendy68 said:
I have a question now too... We have a 90 gallon with a fluval 405. We have live rock and live sand in the dt. If we take out the bio cubes and sponges to replace with live rock in the canister do we have to do it gradually or can we just jump right in and do it? I want to leave the floss and carbon to help with oder and keep the water clear but I don't want to start another cycle.

Def gradually. Dont ever switch filtration out all at once.

What I'm going to do is get 1 or 2 rocks that are already in the tank, crush them to small pieces, put them in a small tray and let them sit in the the tank for a month or so then to the change. Now, how small should its piece be approx?

ganiel said:
What I'm going to do is get 1 or 2 rocks that are already in the tank, crush them to small pieces, put them in a small tray and let them sit in the the tank for a month or so then to the change. Now, how small should its piece be approx?
Couldnt honestly help ya on that one

Oh...I thought you knew coz you suggested to replace my media with live rocks :)

ganiel said:
Oh...I thought you knew coz you suggested to replace my media with live rocks :)

Lol yeah ive never actually used a canister on any of my tanks... Wouldnt mind one thiugh

huma-huma said:
Lol yeah ive never actually used a canister on any of my tanks... Wouldnt mind one thiugh

Lol...lucky you... cleaning it is worse than doing an oil change...I just have to live with it right now and hopefully can setup a sump/ fuge early next year. My tank is still a FOWLR and will gradually upgrade to a reef by january next year.

Back
Top Bottom