Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO a wet/dry is still great to have on your 55g. Safe place to add some chaeto, pods, etc etc. As well as keep your skimmer out of your tank for more room.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was going to just turn it into a sump (keep carbon, skimmer, heater) but I have a fear of floods. I don't have a drilled tank so I bought a prefilter with a U tube. From everything I have read they are not reliable, losing the siphon or a power outage, it could result in a flood. So now I'm a little scared of using it due to living in Florida and we have tendency to lose power alot.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

FWIW I use a dual overflow with 2 U-tubes and have never had them fail on me. My tank has been running for over a year now. I've dealt with power outages and the like and have not had a problem. I even have a switch on my return pumps so I can turn them off and do what ever I need to with my sumps and not deal with water being pumped out and into the display. If you have your system setup correctly you shouldn't have problems!!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #14

Really.that sounds promising....do you have a pic of your set up in your gallery so I can get a better idea of what I would need to do? What about when you do water changes? Do you have a valve to shut off the prefilter? I don't want to have to deal with starting up a siphon every time I do a PWC.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

An overflow is set up so that it keeps its syphon. The U-Tube ends stay under water on either side of the tank so they don't loose syphon. When your pumps start back up water flows into the overflow portion that is inside the tank and then through the U-tube and then into the portion on the outside of the tank and down into your sump. I don't have pics of my overflows on the display but I do use one on my sump as well and I do have pics of that.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #16

Impressive!
Quote:
The U-Tube ends stay under water on either side of the tank so they don't loose syphon
That's what I thought and logically it makes sense since both ends are under water at the same level, so why have other people said their siphons break?
Do you have a valve or something to shut off water flow in order to do maintenance (PWC)?

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com