canister filters and sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 fluval canister filters rated at 70 gal per hour each.
I'm wanting to know if I can leave the suction line in the DT and the return in the sump then a separate pump with a return to the DT. BTW my tank is not drilled. I already have the canister filters so I'm trying to eliminate having to buy a HOB overflow box. My tank is 135 gallons.

Thanks for any help and/or guidance on this.

I`m just thinking out loud but I`m thinking you`ll be better off with the HOB overflow. That way if one of your pumps should fail it wont pump alot of water from the DT into the sump.

Hey thanks for the reply.I'm looking at a CPR 800gph continous overflow box w/ aqulifter pump. Maybe someone can chime in with good or bad exp with this equipment. Maybe I can get some other ideas. Thanks in advance

you would be looking for trouble. the flow down is going to be a lot faster than the flow up. You could still use the fluval for polishing/carbon/denitrate/dephos...

your 2 pump outputs would have to be exactly the same including factoring for the head,i would keep the filters for carbon and the like.I would stay away from any overflow box that needs a primer pump this can cause a lot of problems,try the eshopps sython pipe overflow box or the very expensive lifereef one.I use the eshopps,there's a couple of pics in my profile.

Maybe I need to do a little more research on the overflow.I thought the pump was only to make sure there were no air bubbles in the siphon.Thanks for all replies

its just something else which can fail,the eshopps doesn't need any pump,the one I use is the 800gph and the flowrate down to your sump is governed only by your return pump,that way if your pump fails the flow will stop but the overflow box is still airtight so once the pump restarts the flow starts again.I would highly reccommend this,its the same as the lifereef one at a fraction of the cost.

Overflow boxes in general are a huge PITA. You can get them setup and they will work fine forever, then one day you come home and they are just stopped for some unknown reason.

Is it a glass or acrylic tank?

poop. I was going to say I know people drain 12-18" of water out of their tank and drill the back real quick. Mostly with acrylic, but i've heard of some glass people doing it. Not sure if they had tempered or not, but I imagine that has a large part to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom