Canister filters for reef aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Have heard that canister filters are bad for a reef aquarium?
Is this true or are they good?
I am not going to get one but my friend is setting up a 20 gal reef tank

Yes, canisters are not the best for reef aquaria. This is because of their likelihood to produce nitrates if not given constant maintenance.

Instead, reefers utilize refugiums to consume nitrates, along with reactors to consume nitrates, phosphates, and whatever else your heart desires. This will be especially imparative for a 20 gal reef tank due to the small water volume.

Its bad due to infrequent cleaning. If the pads are rinsed out every 1-2 weeks, then less problems will occur with it. Many people would like to not use canisters because it takes long to clean and maintain.

Are HOB biowheel filters better than canisters in this case?

That is comparing apples to oranges. Canisters have the ability to have media like GFO and such in them where HOB filters like biowheels are carbon only. The biowheel is an additional place for bacteria and algae to grow. If you have a biowheel and are doing any maintenence that will result in the actual wheel to be out of water for more than 15 min, you need to float it in your tank to prevent die off.

Back
Top Bottom