Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
canister vs. sump filter

I want to upgrade to a larger tank (60-125 gallons) and I am started to do my homework. I'm looking around, and I am finding alot of tanks that come with canister filters. Which is better, a self contained canister filter or using a sump tank filter system?

base13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sump all the way. It increases your water volume, gives you a place to hide your skimmer and heaters, you can also throw a HOB filter on it to run media like GAC or polypads. Plus with a sump you can section it off and create a spot for a refugium to grow macro algae and you can also install filter socks on the inlets to filter out larger debris.

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sump, one main reason, when the power goes out, that canister can and will release toxins into the tank just due to the design when the power gets cut then turned back on. Also sumps open up a whole world of filtration that cant be had with HOB's or canisters.
That's not a planted tank. That's a jungle with glass around it- MFDROOKIE Circa 2011
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, filter, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com