canopy for lights: DYI or buy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need a btter light canopy - my lights are fine, but they sit in a hodd right on top of may tank, and I have to take it off or tilt it on its side to get into the tank (my hands, that it).

ANyone know of good DYI plans or a store that sells them?

My tank is small - 30 gal, 36" wide.

Depending on the look of you stand, all you really need is a box. I used a 1x6's to make my first canopy. I had small blocks inside the canopy to hold the light fixture up.

You caoul also build a skeleton and use a thin wood paneling to skin the canopy with. Should be cheaper to build one than buy one but it depends on if you will be happy with it or not.

I am still using my first stand and canopy but I plan to reskin it soon. I would like it to look nicer :)

Depending on the look of you stand, all you really need is a box. I used a 1x6's to make my first canopy. I had small blocks inside the canopy to hold the light fixture up.

Is there a "lip" of somekind inside of the canopy frame to hold it on, or did yours just rest directly on top on the tank?

If you have a petCo or petsmart, go look at their canopies. Basically, inside your DIY canopy, you attach a few small blocks. Those blocks are what rest on the top of your tank. The canopy is actually a little bigger so it slides down around the tank.
You basically just wanna make it slide down far enough to cover the top plastic trim, so it looks nice, and can't be bumped off.

Let me see if I can find a shot of my SW canopy...
ahh, found one. Keep in mind, I built my canopy so it's open backed, to vent off heat, and allow any equipment changes/upgrades. But you can see the blocks.
And remember to seal the inside of the canopy or the humidity will warp the wood.
Some use pine, but I can't find straight pieces, so I've used poplar for my canopies. A little heavier hardwood, but 1x6's work perfectly.

Attachments

• im001080.jpg
    im001080.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 131
I was thinking about making it the exact size and using a piece of trim attached to it to cover the gap between the tank and the canopy. What do you think of that idea?

make it a litle bigger, mine has a 1/4 inch betwen the tank and canopy wich alows air to flow in and out of the canopy.

Mine slid over the tank lip to cover the black trim. It was similar to Malkore's pic. When I added MH's, I added a 1x10 piece that slipped into the 1x6 minus the top. :)

Mine slid over the tank lip to cover the black trim. It was similar to Malkore's pic. When I added MH's, I added a 1x10 piece that slipped into the 1x6 minus the top.

Do you mean a "Box within a box"? Do you have a door in the front for tank access, and/or a hingeed top? I assume you used the 1x10 to raise the MH a bit higher off the surface? (I'm new at this - I curretnly have PCs and my softies are doing fine, but I ant ot "kick it up a notch", as they say. And the status of my current hood is unacceptable - to cumbersome to work with).

When I had the 1x6 canopy, the top was pretty much open. I had the light fixture and 2 1x6's for the top but they all just sit in place. When I fed, I lifted one of the 1x6's out of the way.

When I added the 1x10, it sits right on top, flush with the previous canopy. I added some small board to the inside of the 1x10 so it slips inside the 1x6. Make sense? The back of the 1x10 section is open pretty much. I used peg board for the back for ventilation. The front of the 1x10 section swings up to allow access for maintenance or feeding.

If I was to do it all again, I would build a frame and skin it with a 1/4 material. It would be a heck of a lot lighter and I have a few spots where the 1x10 sits on the 1x6 that light bleeds through. I did it to save time and money :)

HTH

Wow that's pretty tall! IS it becasue of the MH ligthing that you went so high up?

My tank is getting hot just from PC's, so I guess I'd need at LEAST a 10" height if I went ot an MH bulb (my tank is only 30 gal).

The only reason I added on was becasue of the MH's. Would be crazy to have PC's up that high. The bulbs hang down a bit so you lose about 4" with just the fixture.

Back
Top Bottom