Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

cant figure out my problem?

So i have had a tank running for 4 almost 5 weeks now. Tank is cycle so i put 4 damsels in the tank. well couple started fighting which 2 die. then one like stess and die. So i had one left. well all a sudden he look stress and die. Any time i pull a damsel in i get like 2 days and they die. Cant any one answer that? I mean my ph is 8.3 my ammonia like .0 maybe a like but like nothing. nitrates are 0. sat level is 1.024 temp is 77. could i have to much fliting of the water or something cause i put 5 hermit crab in when i had the one damsel and they came out of the shell and die within 12 hours too. mean i have 2 hangon fliter a 50 and a 20 by marineland. 50 has a nitrate and phosphere aborb bags in it. i have a 500 gph power head too.i have a dual t 5 light. i have 20 pounds of life rock and 5 pounds man made. 20 pounds of crush coral on the bottom. i cant figure it out of why everything keeps dieing. i even have green algea growing too. plz someone help me cause i dont want to give up but also dont want to keep killing fish.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am no expert but it sounds like something might have poisoned the tank... Any chance you got glass cleaner or something in your tank that doesn't belong? Dying in two days seems a bit fast for any sort of illness.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank might still be cycling. What test kit are you using? Test kit might be giving false readings of ammonia.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, how are you acclimating your fish?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well my master api test kit test fine and my lfs store test fine, if my tank was posion my cleaner how do I go about fixing it? Do I need to empty the tank out and start over and how could I tell?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are you sure the tank cycled? Seems like you should have some nitrates in there if it had...how did you cycle the tank?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I let my tank run for 3 weeks and I tried adding starter fish.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

The above is a link on cycling a SW tank. It also explains why you should never cycle a tank with live fish. If it was me I would think about starting over but as I mentioned read that link and follow it`s direction. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea that what I did. I had empty my tank wash everything with water and vinger and started all over. I was told to just put my live rock in a bucket with a power head for a couple days and switch out the water and do it again before putting it in the tank. Is that true will it work if I did have chemical in the tank. I mean I found out 2 thing my mom sprayair freaher a lot cause I seen her and yell at her lol and chemcal to clean the tables. Cause my tank has a open lid which I'm going to gat a close lid now.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11 View Post
I let my tank run for 3 weeks and I tried adding starter fish.
For those 3 weeks, what was your source of ammonia? Did it come from the live rock die-offs? What was the water test readings after the first 3 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11 View Post
Yea that what I did. I had empty my tank wash everything with water and vinger and started all over. I was told to just put my live rock in a bucket with a power head for a couple days and switch out the water and do it again before putting it in the tank. Is that true will it work if I did have chemical in the tank. I mean I found out 2 thing my mom sprayair freaher a lot cause I seen her and yell at her lol and chemcal to clean the tables. Cause my tank has a open lid which I'm going to gat a close lid now.
Unless your mom's hairspray is crazy strong fumes, then it shouldn't affect your water. Before you start all over and take apart your tank for cleaning, be 100% certain that your tank has completed cycled. If you cycle it, take out the phosphate and nitrAte absorbers so that it doesn't skew the nitrAte test readings.

Tags
problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com