Can't find info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Water?

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few weeks ago I can upon a link that identified things in your tank as good or bad "WHAT IS THAT?" bugs, worms, that kind of stuff. I can't find it now. Dose anyone know what I'm talking about?

I take my tank pretty personal.;)
I think what I have (IN MY TANK) is a bristleworm, but I'm not certain. It dosn't look quite like the picture. It looks more like a pipe cleaner (kind of a milky white, maybe a little pinkish), but I didn't get a good look at it. It can out of a little whole in the rock about 1 1/2" and went right back in. I kinda freaked out and have seen it again. I noticed on the info. it said not to touch it and I AM NOT GOING TO, but what would it do?
Dose anyone know if this might be something other than a bristleworm?

From the sounds of it, sure sounds like a bristleworm to me. The little tufts of "hair" that make it look like a pipecleaner is the "bristle" part of the bristleworm! While I've never touched one, I believe the sensation of grabbing one would be somewhat close to the feeling you'd have a couple hours after rolling around naked in fiberglass insulation. On a bed of nails.

Personally, I think bristleworms are a good part of your cleanup crew and are nothing to be worried about. My wife freaks out looking at them, but I like watching them. I've watched them clean up all around my corals and never harm them a bit.

From the sounds of it, sure sounds like a bristleworm to me. The little tufts of "hair" that make it look like a pipecleaner is the "bristle" part of the bristleworm! While I've never touched one, I believe the sensation of grabbing one would be somewhat close to the feeling you'd have a couple hours after rolling around naked in fiberglass insulation. On a bed of nails.

LOL!!

Well during my tank disaster I had the displeasure of handling more then one and they were easily 8" long. The sensation, (why couldn't it have felt as you described??WHY???!!??) was far more like being stung by a wasp only instead of one stinger there were several. The strange thing about the sting of the bristleworm is it doesn't just fade away, it actually increased in intensity. It didn't cause such pain that I was unable to function or anything but I knew I had been stung hours after it happened.

So the point of my story is, be cautious when handling bristle worms, they do pack a punch. They are a great addition to the tank and will help keep things clean!

i just cant help but to crack up reading the descriptions of your misfortunes and imgining your pain.:bowl::bowl::bowl:

i may be sick or something but its very entertaining:silly:

Got Water - Milky white. Looks like a pipe cleaner.

Sure it's not a fireworm? The bristle worm is like a nekkid fireworm IMO. The fireworm has fuzzy white hair.

Not all fireworms are predators and in fact most are not, but rather scavengers of carrion.

Back
Top Bottom