Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Cant find Sand, what now???

After visiting three Home Depot's, a Lowes, WalMart and two Local garden shops i came up empty handed. All of the stores had the quickrete brand, and one of them had white play sand but it contains silica. I went to the pet store and they have 30lb bags for 24.99, and i need 120lbs. does anyone know where i can get some, order it online? I live in Albany NY. I was all ready to get started today and then this.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

try toys r us

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

so i went to toys r us, and they dont have the right kind either, so i went back to Home Depot, and the guy said that they have tropical play sand on order, but prob. wont get it for a month or two. That puts a damper on my plans. Anyone else run into this problem, what did you do?

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think HD can really tell when their orders come in. I've had probably 10 stores look up the sku for southdown, so I'm getting to be an expert in HD stocking procedures. They can only see # on hand, and # on order. Everywhere I have gone has told me 0 on hand, 0 on order. Start of February I was told that the tropical play sand comes in at the end of February. Now I'm being told It comes in at the beginning of April.

I bought the white play sand that you probably saw at HD. I'm setting up a 110 gallon this coming weekend and I"m going to lay down an inch or two of the white sand, throw in my dead rock, and a couple shrimp and a scoop of live sand to start my cycle. In a month or so, before I get fish - if HD has southdown in I'll try to figure out a way to add it (probably a pain). If not, I've given up. I contacted Yardright about their tropical playsand via email to see if any will be available in the northeast. Will post if I get a response.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i just contacted yardright, waiting for their reply, i called and been to a couple of home depot's, some say in a couple of weeks, some say they dont think they carry it anymore, Anyway, i dont know if i should wait, or suck it up and spend 100 bucks for it at the pet store.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

if i have to buy the sand from the LFS, what would i have to buy. They have the caribsea sand, but it says its good for shallow sand beds up to one inch. I want a 4 inch sand bed. Would the white playsand from HD that has silica in it be fine? Please help, dont know what to do. Would 90 pounds be OK. Some people at Home Depot say its a matter of time, others say its not gonna come in.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Trust me, badfish, I've been obsessing over this sand for months and I've researched it. What you are looking for is any aragonite sand as opposed to silica based sand. The play sand your talking about and the one I bought is silica based. The silica sand is not really toxic to fish, but it has sharp edges on the small crystals making it potentially harmful (not really sure how drastically harmful) to sand sifting inverts and the like. Silica based sand also does nothing to buffer PH like aragonite sand does. Those are the two differences. You can absolutely get away with using it in your aquarium (and many in this forum do - they even use the quickrete playsand). Just be aware of those two factors - sharp grains and no ph buffer. Other than that, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, the white playsand will be perfectly nontoxic to fish and shouldn't change water conditions.

- S. Lo
Old 03-06-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
check out your local garden shop, they might be able to get what you're looking for
Old 03-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and badfish, check out the calculators link on this site for the sand depth calc. It will tell you how much sand you will need for your tank's dimensions.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey skinnypete.

yeah i checked that out, i need roughly 120 pounds, and another calculator said 110 pounds. what if i put 100 pounds of the Silica white playsand with the carib sea playsand on top, do you think that would be safe for sand sifting fish. And i am gonna call the garden shops tommorow. TIA

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com