Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cant get ammonia to come down

I started up a salt water tank jan 15. The rock is kupang rock and I was told it was fully cured so I figured it wouldn't have much of a cycle time. The tank was good for about 2.5 weeks. I got a rock covered in aptasia so I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and with in 1 week the shrimp died and the tank had ammonia. Now I can't get it to come down. I had bought 2 strawberry top snails and 2 turbo snails and all that's left is 1 turbo snail. There was a lot of crabs in the live rock as hitch hikers and in total 9 died. I can't stop this ammonia. Any suggestions?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a rock with aptasia on it I removed it and boiled it. Best to remove it and kill it asap. before it reproduces...but to answer your question better I'm sure we will need to know some more info. tank size how much live rock, Type of substrate? types of filters? Do you have any powerheads ? what all do you have in the tank?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

Like bill said we need more info on tank. A massive water change is in order before adding any more creatures.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennlee View Post
I started up a salt water tank jan 15. The rock is kupang rock and I was told it was fully cured so I figured it wouldn't have much of a cycle time. The tank was good for about 2.5 weeks. I got a rock covered in aptasia so I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and with in 1 week the shrimp died and the tank had ammonia. Now I can't get it to come down. I had bought 2 strawberry top snails and 2 turbo snails and all that's left is 1 turbo snail. There was a lot of crabs in the live rock as hitch hikers and in total 9 died. I can't stop this ammonia. Any suggestions?
Sadly some LFS will sell stuff and mislead people to its effectiveness. It sounds like the rock wasn't cured at all, and in any case, you should have still cycled the tank. When you said "I got a rock covered in aptasia" does that mean it became covered, or you went and "got" another rock? I would start a new cycle. If you have a fair amount of livestocj still in the tank, your probably going to have to go into emergency maintenance. I hate BioSpira and other cycle additives, as I believe they create a false cycle. However, what they can do, is add bacteria to the water column which will consume the ammonia present. The other option is ammolock, which binds with the ammonia rendering it less poisonous to livestock. , while still allowing the cycle to continue.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post

Sadly some LFS will sell stuff and mislead people to its effectiveness. It sounds like the rock wasn't cured at all, and in any case, you should have still cycled the tank. When you said "I got a rock covered in aptasia" does that mean it became covered, or you went and "got" another rock? I would start a new cycle. If you have a fair amount of livestocj still in the tank, your probably going to have to go into emergency maintenance. I hate BioSpira and other cycle additives, as I believe they create a false cycle. However, what they can do, is add bacteria to the water column which will consume the ammonia present. The other option is ammolock, which binds with the ammonia rendering it less poisonous to livestock. , while still allowing the cycle to continue.
So will petsmart
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I had similar problems when I had started a 16 gallon. Ammonia and nitrites were very high for two weeks. I talked to someone at one of the stores I go to and he recommended I get some of his live rock which was fully cured, so I did. I got about 9 pounds. Once I added it, within a few hours, everything was zero.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

Ok so to clarify the rock I bought had aptasia on it from the Store. New to the hobby and not knowing what aptasia looked like. I've done a water change and filter clean as well. Ya it could vet have well been the chemicals the store told me to add. But now where to go from here another water change?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #8

I have a 55 gallon tank with about 1.5 inch live sand and 50lbs of kupang rock. I have a LED light with a 305 fluval filter.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Oh and yes 1 power head 405 I think
Old 05-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm having the same prob also but I switched tanks due to a leakage and having ammonia spikes what I'm doing is dosing BB ill let u know how it goes with mine

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com