Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i just checked my PH again today and it went back down to 7.8 with the lid off...uggggghhh...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This should help...Do some reading here: artcule by Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemistry Articles - Reef Central Online Community Archives

Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

A few more questions. Is there a glass top on the tank? What time of the day are you checking? Check it out in the evening before the lights go out. Read this also.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #14

there was a glass top but i took it off yesterday and left it off ever since...ive kinda been checking randomly but i will start checking before i turn the lights out....is it okay for it to fluctuate that much?...i thought it was supposed to stay at 8.2 throughout the day everyday.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlea8 View Post
?...i thought it was supposed to stay at 8.2 throughout the day everyday.
Nope. Lowest in the morning, highest in the evening just as the lights go out. You can (and probably will) see around a 0.2 swing between morning and night. It's good to pick a certain time of the day to do all your testing (not just pH), and only do testing at that time.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #16

okay cause mine is fluctuating by like .4...so its really confusing...i guess ill just keep testing before turning the light off at night...should i keep adding the PH buffer?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Yeah it's normal to go up and down. But during the day you should be around 8.2 AND 8.3... Mine drops around 7.6 at night but in at day time the same time every night it's at 8.2 and border 8.3 which is good. I say border because i am using a PH monitor to monitor my PH instead of testing for it everyday.... it makes testing for everything else easier and faster....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #18

during the day like right when i turn the light on?....isnt the light supposed to increase the PH?....and isnt it bad for the fish to swim with a PH of 7.6?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
7.6 is morning time so My lights aren't on yet. They are pretty much sleeping so I am taking it as less breathing for the fish while they sleep I am just taking a guess.( Someone Chime in on that part)... ... But for some reason it's been that why but I might even have to recalibrate my PH monitor so don't hold the 7.6 against me.... I normally check it and it is right around 7.6 or 7.7 still close to 7.8 but I think if it gets lower than that it can cause for concern at least for me cause then there is something wrong with my system going lower than 7.6..... but any ways My lights are on and it's right before they go out is when it is almost at 8.3.... Usaully it take awhile before it hit it's peak during the day for me... but I run my Lights @ around 2PM and then they go off around 12 midnight but thats 10 hrs for my Blue Lights and 8 hours for my Day lights....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlea8 View Post
okay cause mine is fluctuating by like .4...so its really confusing...i guess ill just keep testing before turning the light off at night...
If the tank was a year old, I'd say a 0.4 fluctuation is a bit much. But in a 2-month old tank, it's probably to be expected. There are many things that will change pH (that article melosu linked to lists quite a few!) but one of the big things is biological activity. When our tanks are new, there's a LOT of activity going on in that little closed ecosystem. Think of it like those old DIY cruise controls you bought that could never hit a constant speed. They were either too fast, or too slow... never where you set them. (Gee... I just dated myself there with that example, didn't I?!) That's a lot like what's going on in the tank right now. Everything that's alive in that tank (including bacteria) is trying to find just the right level to be at to stay alive. And that can cause swings in pH. That's why if you were measuring your pH during your cycle, it was all over the place.

Quote:
should i keep adding the PH buffer?
I wouldn't. I made that mistake when my tank was about the same age as yours. It caused me headaches when I was ready to add coral and started trying to get my alkalinity and calcium levels where they should be. Struggled with that for a while because of all the buffer I added. At this point, I'd just do maybe double up on your water changes (twice per week versus once per week, etc.) and keep an eye on things. Also give that article melosu linked to a good read. It's the best one out there on how to deal with pH issues.

[Edit: Oops! The link melosu posted wasn't the article I thought it was! Here... try THIS article!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...e2002/chem.htm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com