Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can't Get PH to Raise Higher Than 7.8...HELP!

Hello,

As of now I have one green chromis, some snails, and some crabs inside my tank. After about a week or two my PH is still at 7.8. I have been adding Seachem marine buffer pretty much every single day and still the PH remains the same. I have changed the water twice so far but for some reason my PH will not go up. How can I get the PH to raise to the appropriate levels so I can start adding more fish? Someone please help!?!?!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ReefSoldier
Have you tried baking soda? I have heard of this but have never tried it myself.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

First before adding anything how old is the tank and how old is the test kit ?? What kind of test kit are you using ? When are you testing ,lites on or off ?
Baking soda does work but can cause a snow storm in the tank from precipitating .. I think it is 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons but I can not say 100% sure and you have to add it slowly and test frequently .
If your tank has a hood on it try opening it and blowing a fan across it . I had issues with ours when I first started but buy using an eggcrate top with a fan my PH goes to 8.4 and sits even with the lights out . My tank is also over 4 years old closer to the 5-6 mark ...HTH GL
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

the tank is pretty new...ive had it for about 2 months...the test kit is new as well and i think its red sea PH and Alkalinity test kit....i usually test with the lights on...I just checked the PH and thankfully it was at 8.2....im not sure if thats because I JUST added the Seachem PH buffer like 30 min ago....I have some premixed saltwater ready cause I was going to change it becuase I heard that makes the PH go up...should i still change the water tommorow?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not dose anything in a tank this new . It can take upwards of a year to fully stablize out .. Generally you will start to see stability around the 6 month mark however each tank is diffrent .
What salt mix are you using ?
How are you mixing your salt H20
What type of water are you using for top offs and mixing salt water . IE Tap, RO/DI , RO , or distilled or other ..
Try a aquarium pharma test kit a bit easier to read . When first starting your eyes will not really register the colors but as you do it you will be able to pick up on the subtle colors ..
Also do make sure that it is a salt water test not fresh ... I have done that too , since they sit side by side in the stores :p
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #6

the salt mix im using is coral life....i just mix it with tap water then pour it in...when i top it off i use freshwater just from my tap....and its definatly a saltwater test kit
Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not aware of a Ph/ Alk combo test kit. Although both are related in your water chemistry you should be testing for these separately. I agree with Sadielynn when "she" (sorry to asume) says open the top or I'll add you could simply aim a power head at the surface of the tank to increase the gas exchange. Is your tank showing bad symptoms related to ph of 7.8? I don't think that 7.8 ph is the end all in aquarium water paramaters. I think stability is more important than perfect numbers.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

i do test them separately...the test kit just came with both...i think it has something to do with my salt because i tested the PH of just the saltwater i mixed about an hour ago and it was around 7.4
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Part of your issues is the tap water .. This will cause other long term issues now and later downt the road ..As for the coalife salt I believe it is low in calcium and does not buffer PH really well from what I remember reading . Try a box of reef crystals , and change your water source .. To RO/DI or RO
Also when mixing salt h20 try to aerate,the plain water for 24 hours then add your salt mix on the 24 hour mark or so , mix an addtional 24 hours , then use ... that should help with the PH . Also if it is a closed top get it opened up if you can ... also when you open it up try to open a window to the out side this will help as well .. it has to do with the carbon build up in the house , you will find that in the summer it is better because the windows are open , Now understand I open my windows year round 1 x a week minimum even at below 0 temps I have not had a major cold since I started doing this and the ph on my tanks have benifited ..It also helps remove any build ups of Carbon monixide too
Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlea8 View Post
i do test them separately...the test kit just came with both...i think it has something to do with my salt because i tested the PH of just the saltwater i mixed about an hour ago and it was around 7.4
I'm sorry I didn't see an alk reading.

Jason

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com