cant keep ammonia levels up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
bet you were shocked when you saw that title^, werent you? haha

but seriously, i will add about 3cc's of ammonia (which i thought was a lot) and five minutes later i will only test about .5-1ppm ammonia. my nitrites are staying a steady 1ppm and my nitrates are really high, close to 80 (im cycling fishless so dont freak out)

do i have to keep the ammonia up in order for the nitrite bacteria to grow?

thanks,
joma
(ps i started my cycle about 5 days ago)
(pss i have a 2 gallon hexagon with an aquateach100gph , 3-3.5lbs of live rock and about 4 pounds of fossilized coral.)

Couldn't tell you about using pure ammonia, I would just toss a raw shrimp in there and be done with it. lol When the levels come back safe your cycled.

I never saw nitrates in my tank until I added fish. Even now they are somewhere between 0-5ppm. I saw Ammonia peak at about 3ppm then Nitrite that got up to about 1.5ppm then all clear. I cycled with a ton of cured liverock though, maybe other methods yield different results.

Gti_Leo, it's not that simple. The goal is for the bacteria to be able to process and certain amount (usually like 4 ppm) of ammonia, into nitrite then nitrates within 24 hours. If you're still seeing high levels of nitrite within 24 hours then it's not ready.

so once i see no ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours i can add fish?

should i wait until the nitrites to go down before i add more ammonia? or should i keep adding ammonia until the nitrites go down?

ammonia gets turned into nitrite then into nitrate, i think your only supposed to add it once a day. i've never heard of the cycling method your using, only the raw shrimp one

ammonia gets turned into nitrite then into nitrate, i think your only supposed to add it once a day. i've never heard of the cycling method your using, only the raw shrimp one

im just using pure ammonia, its what i had so its what i use

should i add more ammonia or wait until the nitrite goes to 0?

Back
Top Bottom