Can't keep my nitrates down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all

I am having trouble keeping my nitrates down. I tested today and my nitrates are at 20ppm. Any suggestions on this. Is my tank overstocked?
I cut down my feedings to light ones every other day. I will be buying more live rock most likely tomorrow. I was wondering also if phos-x or nitrex would help with my nitrate problem. Please Help!!!!!

I am still really new to this great and wonderful hobby.
My tank is in my room and would a 29 gal really need a refugium?

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Your Coral Beauty will eat macroalgae harvested from your fuge. Added pod production (food source) is also an added benefit. More importantly in your case -- nutrient export.

Refugiums are also interesting biotopes to view!

BTW, I also have a horseshoe crab in my tank. I'm probably going to give him away (size is a problem). They are fascinating to watch though!

I recently added a fuge to my 28 gal. Not only for nitrate reduction but also for the expanded water volume which makes care easier. I was also able to move my skimmer and heater out of the main tank to help with clutter.

Three major contributors to nitrates are overstocking, overfeeding and CC substrate. I do not think you are over-stocked, feeding looks okay and you use LS so that rules all of those out. The best way to get them down is to do regula and frequent water changes. Adding a skimmer and a bunch of live rock will sure help. Shoot for between 1.5-2ls/gal of LR. It is your best option to keep NO3 down.

Back
Top Bottom