Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
It looks like the BRS model is simple enough to run GFO and carbon... but I have never detected anymore than about 0.05ppm PO4 in my system so I don't really intend to ever have to run GFO in it. Space it as a premium in the cabinet under the tank, so 1 it is.

I appreciate the advice though - I can see how it would be much easier and much more economical to run a dual if I needed to run GFO.
It can become a bit expensive doing it that way since your gfo will usually have about three times the life span as the carbon does and is a bit pricey at that. Honestly I would run just gfo and throw a carbon bag in the sump.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea no problem... Space is always the issue I'm pretty sure it's only like a $10-$15 diff in price. My LFS matches BRS' pricing with shipping for me and basically told me if I had the room to do a double due to ease of operation. He even had the single in stock and could have made an easy sale, but he def looks out for what is better for the tank...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Again, I do not need to run GFO - most likely I will just run carbon in it, unless down the road for some reason I start seeing noticeable amounts of PO4. If that happens, I can always witch back to running Carbon in the sump in a filter bag and run GFO only in the reactor.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Again, I do not need to run GFO - most likely I will just run carbon in it, unless down the road for some reason I start seeing noticeable amounts of PO4.
Oh.. ya in that case maybe a 1/10 mixture just to polish them phosphates off at 0.00 .... On a side note I think the single reactors are much more efficient then the duals due to lower flow in them.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recommend it. I run carbon and gfo in a reactor. It fluidizes the media better by flowing up the reactor instead of through it, like in a mesh bag.

You may not need to run gfo - but what can it hurt? Same with carbon. Maybe you have low phosphates now but you might not in the future. Maybe you don't have any contaminants in your tank but you might in the future. IMO, run both.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I see no reason to run GFO in a tank that tests 0.00 for PO4. I test PO4 every few weeks. If I start to see it, then I would consider running it. But why spend the money to remove something that isn't there?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know. Just personal preference I guess. Then the only reason I test is to see if the GFO is all used up. I really don't see how you have 0 phosphates.. hmm.

I have a two little fishies reactor and it comes with a pump and works nicely.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run two separate reactors. I use GFO in a Nextreef MR1 and have done so since day 1 of setting up the tank so I got zero phosphates from the beginning. Second reactor is a Phosban 150 with carbon running. I believe running carbon continuously helps. And yes in a reactor it does work better because it gets more flow. Even if you don't want to run GFO in the dual you can use it for other media or biopellets.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #19
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
I don't know. Just personal preference I guess. Then the only reason I test is to see if the GFO is all used up. I really don't see how you have 0 phosphates.. hmm.

I have a two little fishies reactor and it comes with a pump and works nicely.
I would say it is because the tank is stocked very lightly and the skimmer works well. I have a Hanna checker and an API PO4 kit. Neither shows any phosphate reading in my reef tank. I add KH2PO4 to my planted tank and the meter reads 0.4-0.5 on it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Received, and installed. I am running out of room under my tank... :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG (2).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	120489  

Tags
carbon, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com