Carbon and saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

Are there any negative effects of using carbon in my tank/filter? Does it filter out any trace elements. Any affect on fish? Thanks..

The things that I've heard are that Carbon is not selective on what it filters out, that it will become a nitrate trap if not changed "frequently enough" and that some brands leach PO4 back into the water as a wonderful little surprise for you!

That being said I guess I should go move that carbon out of my sump. I think it's been there for a week now...

The actual filter pads in the penguins contain so little carbon and last so long, I have a hard time believing that they cause any problems. The filter floss will cause a problem with nitrates first. You should be rinsing them at least weekly.

Carbon does remove trace elements, but of course it removes most chemicals. the good and the bad, so I use it 1 week per month. I use a media bag and let the water flowing out of the overflow flow through it.

Back
Top Bottom