Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Most will leach back compounds into the water column when the usefulness is spent

cant seem to reson that out. if carbon did that then the carbon filters for ro/di systems would be also leaching back into the water.
The answer to this isn't always clear and it depends on who you talk to. I don't believe in de-absorption (under normal circumstances in the aquarium). All the reading and research I have done for carbon in the past says that it can only go through a de-absorption phase if the water's pH is switched extremely rapidly from one state to another (i.e. acidic to basic).

Again, Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec of Marineland writes:

Quote:
De-adsorption is another phenomenon that is over-stated in the rumor mills about activated carbon. Again, it is an incomplete statement that is commonly used to described the process. It goes, in one fashion or another, as: don't use carbon because once its adsorption sites are full it will release, or de-adsorb, all the stuff it has adsorbed releasing a large amount of pollutants back into the aquarium. The implication in this sentence that activated carbon works something like a capacitor such that once at its maximum adsorption capacity, it instantaneously discharges all the bad things it has adsorbed is wrong. Carbon does de-adsorb, in fact, that ability is exploited for recycling precious metals. However, in a controlled industrial process, the quick release of the target substance is accomplished by switching the pH of the water. The basic process is to capture the target substance at one pH extreme (very acidic or basic) and then reclaim the substance by switching to the other pH extreme. As stated earlier in this article, these pH values are outside the normal range of aquaria. De-adsorption is not a process to be worried about.
Source: http://www.marineland.com/articles/17RevisActCarb.asp

Quote:
so do you think i would be better to remove the carbon at the end of 21 days and just leave the floss?
Remove it and replace with new GAC since it will probably be exhausted by that time. I run mine 24/7 and replace every two weeks.

brndfrb wrote:

Quote:
What if you never use it?
This is, of course, up to you. But I am definitely sold on GAC. Removing DOC's from the water improves biological filtration, keeps nitrates lower (indirectly), and helps to improve the water overall clarity and quality. Read the two links that I have posted and see what you think.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Carbon loses its ability to do good after a week or so
Amen.

If you have a problem that the carbon is supposed to fix, it drastically loses it's capacity after a week or two.

Personally I prefer a back filter crammed full of floss and changing that every couple of weeks.

Old 11-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

That I have not tried.
it would certainly save me money.
but I am a stickler for a tank that gives the impression of not having any water in it.

as long as i know that using carbon 24-7 and in larger amonts (apx 1cp per 40 gal) wont hurt any of my "Friends" I am cool with the cost.

what are the organic conpounds that are removed by carbon?
i would dump 10 bucks of carbon into my tank per week if it removed my phosphates and nitrates.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have never added it to my tank, but I bought some and was wondering how to add it? I do not have a sump, but I could add it into my overflow box. What do you put it in?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:26 AM   #15

Quote:
I am a stickler for a tank that gives the impression of not having any water in it.
You have to remember that you are not talking about a FW tank... SW is supposed to have suspended particles to some degree in the water column.. That is the plankton and microorganisms that corals and whatnot live off of... IF you were to dive, you would see that the water isn't really that pristine.. This can have ill effects in the long run...No need for filter floss in a sw setup... I do not have any mechanical filtration such as sponges and floss, and my tank is so clear you can read a book through the 4 foot water column...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I do not have any mechanical filtration such as sponges and floss, and my tank is so clear you can read a book through the 4 foot water column...
not my tank , but that is what i am used to - total clarity

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

douggiestyle wrote:

Quote:
what are the organic conpounds that are removed by carbon?
i would dump 10 bucks of carbon into my tank per week if it removed my phosphates and nitrates.

Carbon removes tannins and phenols from the water. Tannins are usually what give you the water that brown/yellow look while phenols can cause it to smell. Carbon will have no affect on the nitrates in the water. Carbon will also not remove phosphates from the water. Actually, some cheaper carbons will actually leach phosphates into the water. This can be avoided by purchasing good quality bituminous coal based carbons like Marineland's Black Diamond or Seachem's Matrix carbon.

bizzybeas

Quote:
I have never added it to my tank, but I bought some and was wondering how to add it? I do not have a sump, but I could add it into my overflow box. What do you put it in?
This is why I am staunch believer is sumps. I put mine in a mesh bag and leave it sitting in the sump under the overflow inlet.

You have an overflow without a sump? Closed loop with an overflow? Anyway, you could put in in the overflow much like I put mine in the sump. Go to your lfs and buy one of those mesh media bags. Fill it up with GAC and put it in.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Tannins are usually what give you the water that brown/yellow look while phenols can cause it to smell.
Definately has an odor though not bad, but I am using carbon.
my amonia, no2 and no3 dont even register so the tank is great. but i cant see from one side to the other. in another post I found out i have a diatom problem which seems to have resolved itself some what. I no longer have diatoms covering everything in the tank. but something is definatly clouding the water at unacceptable levels. again i can not see from one side of the tank to the other and NO my glass is not dirty. i can actualy see the stuff swirling like clouds. i put in a piece of brocli tied to some twine nand the twine turned brown in a few min.

This is why i have been using large ammounts of carbon. ive changed it twice in the last week.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The aquarium will always have some odor to it. Although, in an established aquarium it will be a "beachy" smell. In an unestablished aquarium, the odor will smell like a foul sulfuric smell.

The way you are describing your problem, it sounds like you have a bacteria bloom in effect. Anything dead in the tank? You may want to consider doing a water change to see if that helps your problem.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #20

How old is this tank?

I went through the same thing soon after the cycle of mine, and it took a HOT Magnum with the diatom cartridge with diatom powder to get it clear. And boy did it... so clear, you could read the small print of a contract through 4 foot of water.. After that, I haven't had it cloudy....

The following link is to sticky that was placed by CC.... It works flawlessly...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=diatom+filter

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com