Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will second the use of a Diatom filter. You will have sparkling water in no time with it. I followed the exact instructions of that link that Timbo2 provided. I had no idea that my Magnum 350 was so versatile.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

the tank is about a month old. the cloudiness appears around 11am and ends around 4pm with it peeking in cloudiness around 2pm.
right now the tank is perfectly clear. its 7pm.
my lighting cycles 12hrs on 12hrs off. 8am to 8pm.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess maybe i should remove the carbon it seems that it may not be what is clearing my tank. although i am not worried about the carbon leaching the stuff it takes out back into the tank, it seems that leaving the carbon in a tank for to long can leach phosphates into the tank. I am going to try running running my tank without the carbon for a few days to see what happens.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
it seems that leaving the carbon in a tank for to long can leach phosphates into the tank.
Yes, all carbons will leach phosphorus into your tank. Although the better ones will leach <.01 mg/cc (which no hobbiest test kit could pick up anyway as it is so small)

I don't think organics are what are causing your cloudy water. GAC would have cleared it up by now. I am thinking bacteria bloom.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i think its something else also. I am starting a new thread

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Apollo
I use a ton of Carbon on a 55 Gallon. About 2 Liters of the stuff with ceramic rings and nylon padding. This tank is the MOST clear out of all of my tanks AND I never change the media more than every 4-6 months.

I'm not saying that the carbon is useful after a few weeks but somehow this set up does the job magnicantly so why change a good thing?

-Benjamin Franklin
Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:01 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This tank is the MOST clear out of all of my tanks AND I never change the media more than every 4-6 months.
I doubt your carbon is doing anything after 1-2 months of use, much less 4-6 months of use. It becomes exhausted and will simply turn into a biological filter if left in the water for that long of a time.

A tank can be "clear" without the use of GAC. Every tank is different. The eye is a bad judge when deciding water quality.

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com