Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2003, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carbon Bad???

Ok ive been using high quality carbon and a lot of it. like ive got 900g (4cps) in the tank 24-7

Is this bad?

why I ask is i am reading the back of a Kent Marine jar and it says only use 1cp per 100gal for three days!!! and afterwards use some type of trace element to fortify every thing I removed.!

Ive kept alot of different fish over the years (discus, african chiclids even had a mudskipper tank) albeit I have not had a fish in my house (other than on a plate) in 12 years. Is this some new revelation; a salt water only dilemma or have I been stupid and lucky over the years!

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #2

I think it is a little over kill, the amount you are using...

I only use about 4 tbsp for 55 gal... And it runs about 5 days and then I remove it. I do this approx. twice a month... I know there are some that use the same amount I use, maybe a little more 24x7 and report no ill effects from it...

What is the reason for using so much?

I don't think you need that much carbon...
Old 11-08-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What is the reason for using so much?
I have a lot of cloudiness. I like the water polished.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have a lot of cloudiness. I like the water polished
Cloudiness is normally a sign associated with bacteria blooms and not DOC buildup. In other words, the GAC won't have any effect if it IS a bacteria bloom.

Quote:
why I ask is i am reading the back of a Kent Marine jar and it says only use 1cp per 100gal for three days!!! and afterwards use some type of trace element to fortify every thing I removed.!
This is crazy to me. Three days?? The most frequent I have seen people change their carbon is after a week. I change mine every two weeks. But three weeks?? Kent really wants to try and make a dime off their carbon I guess.

According to Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec of Marineland:

Quote:
There is much written about the use of carbon in seawater aquaria. Some authors recommend against the use of carbon in seawater aquaria because carbon will remove trace elements. As with most situations in the aquarium hobby, the correct response to the claim that activated carbon removes trace elements from seawater is yes and no; mostly no. By definition, trace elements are those elements found in the ocean with a concentration of less than 1 ppb. These are elements such as cesium, chromium, cadmium, selenium, cobalt, silver, lead, tin, helium, lanthanum and cerium. For these elements, it has never been shown that they are really needed in the aquarium. In fact, adding some to the water would really be poisoning the tank. Further, these elements are rather insoluble at the pH of seawater, so activated carbon cannot remove them from the water. Thus the correct technical answer is that in the normal marine aquarium, activated carbon will not remove trace elements.
http://www.marineland.com/articles/16ActivatedCarb.asp

AND

http://www.marineland.com/articles/17RevisActCarb.asp
Old 11-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
This is crazy to me. Three days?? The most frequent I have seen people change their carbon is after a week. I change mine every two weeks. But three weeks?? Kent really wants to try and make a dime off their carbon I guess.
no for only 3 days out of a month. not replace every three days.

I have two trays of floss and carbon that I rotate every 21 days.
I never replace both at the same time. 21 day old carbon isnt doing much but it gets a lot of bacteria built up on it so i leave it in for another 21 days until the new tray is infested.

does this make sense. Ive always believed in only replacing half of the filter media at a time.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-08-2003, 02:22 PM   #6

Carbon loses its ability to do good after a week or so... That is why they recommend changing it often... Most will leach back compounds into the water column when the usefulness is spent... Carbon IMO should not be used at all for biological filtration...but only for chemical filtration...
Old 11-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
no for only 3 days out of a month. not replace every three days.
Oh, ok.. Totally misread that. Makes more sense now...

Timbo2 wrote:

Quote:
Carbon IMO should not be used at all for biological filtration...but only for chemical filtration...
Totally agree here. That is its purpose. You could actually do more harm than good using it for biological filtration if it is left in too long. Everytime you go to replace the carbon you would be essentially removing your biological filter.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Carbon IMO should not be used at all for biological filtration
no intention on using it as biological filtration other than the fact that it is.
Quote:
Most will leach back compounds into the water column when the usefulness is spent
cant seem to reson that out. if carbon did that then the carbon filters for ro/di systems would be also leaching back into the water.

so do you think i would be better to remove the carbon at the end of 21 days and just leave the floss?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 11-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
What if you never use it?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
What if you never use it?

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com