Carbon Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quick question, On my HOB filter would you recommend a carbon filter on it? I keep hearing its a personal pref. Is there any good or bad I should know about it? Thanks!!

Carbon is really not needed unless, Removing medicines, Bad odors etc.

I have read about running carbon once a month to polish the water too. I don't run carbon unless removing something.

Yep the way you are thinking about using it might work , But I have read up where some carbon can leach phosphates into your water....I guess it's dependent on the type.

i've been running carbon filters in mine since i got them, i haven't had any issues thus far and my fish are happy

Carbon, IMO, is a waste of money if not used for a specific purpose. As previously stated, it is good for removing meds, and also for bad smells. There are a few other situations as well. As far as running on a regular basis, it's doing nothing really, and after about a week, it no longer works and only leeches back the things that it has absorbed.

who really wants a bad smell coming from their aquariums though. i use it cuz its in my HOB filter cartrages

Take the cartridge out and load up the bucket part with LR rubble. If needed, cut an aquaclear sponge filter to fit right next to the intake before the LR.

Just go buy a single 1lb LR, and when you get home take a hammer to it to break it up. Check CL. someone locally is bound to be dumping some off for 2-3 dollars a pound.

*Edit* Nevermind on CL. I didn't realize it doesn't exist for Carson City, and there isn't really anything listed in Reno/Elko/or Vegas.

I will for sure. We have CL it's listed as lake tahoe/reno. Only one pound? Does the area need to be full of LR or does just a little need to be in there?

Amount actually depends on hob filter size. My ac 70 took a pound, so that's what I'm going on. Fill it about 1/2 3/4 full. I put macro algae under my live rock to hold it down and help with nitrate filtering. But then you need to light the compartment, too.

Oh ok well I'm not quite there yet. I don't have the ability to do that so will it be ok to just throw the rock in there? Without algae I mean? I have spent so much already due to the fact that I started with absolutely nothing! I think I'm gonna sell one of my guns for some more tank money!

so if you're saying theres no point to carbon in a filter then whats the point to having a filter just get a power head with a filterpad on it in that case.

The point of having the filter is the mechanical filtration and the biological filtration. Most of your beneficial bacteria make there home there. And the fish fiches are filter out. Carbon has it's needs as mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom