Carbon in saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, what about a reactor that tumbles the granuals with water flowing from bottom to top"? Would that extend the life of the GAC or is that not enough to keep slime and grit off the carbon?

- Chemistry Department, The Pennsylvania State University.
By Ken S. Feldman, Lauren F. Vernese, Karl T. Mueller, Kelly Maers

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 1: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria
Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria

'An interesting observation to emerge from these simulations is that, at least for the 100 gallon water volume/100 gm of HC2 case described by Table 5 and Figure 11, the GAC saturation times vary tremendously depending upon the clean/dirty state of the tank water. Under conditions of aggressive DOC removal (skimming, water changes, GAC use), the GAC charge should last over a month, but under more passive nutrient removal husbandry (no skimming? no frequent water changes?), the GAC charge will be depleted in just a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative articles.
If you want to meet and hear Ken speak, he will be the guest speaker at our frag swap this fall. He's a great guy....and has some awesome corals in his tank. ;)

Thank you, figured science never hurts or offends

Might be interesting. Never met him but did spend some considerable time at the facility though some years back :) If you want to drop me a note as to where and when I'll give it a look.

Regards,

Very interesting articles. Will be some good reading materials over the next day or two. I want to state my point of view. I only use GAC for a week at a time. I really dont use it but a few times a year. I`m not saying that it cant last longer. As your article said CS it really depends on the condition of your water. I would go along and agree that a tank with a good skimmer that GAC would last longer compared to one that does not have a skimmer. I choose to be better safe than sorry and use it for a time frame that I know will work. I choose to see how far away I can stay from the cliff`s edge then to see how close I can get to the edge. Nothing wrong with science and articles. I dont think anyone post more scientific article than I do on this site but we also have to consider experience of others. When folks say that their experience is this or that then that`s what it is. Who am I to discount someone else`s experience. We all know that their`s more than one way to do things in this hobby. IMO experience is just as valuable as science. I do appreciate the articles and will check them out but I will also be considering my experience also.

Thank you again. It's a bit far but if I can find a reason to be in the area it sounds like an interesting event. Always been a FOWLR person though I do find corals most interesting and appealing. My lifestyle takes me away from home much too often and the thought of leaving creatures of that expense to someone else to care for is uncomfortable to say the least.

I will ask around and see if Mr. Feldman was around during my time.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f114/ncpars-fall-frag-swap-118679.html

Ken is a great, down to earth guy. Just don't get him started on protein skimmers...lol. You will leave with your head spinning :)
Sanjay Joshi will also be there, but not as a guest speaker. He's a club member and attends all our swaps.

Back
Top Bottom