Careys' 29g Cube Remodel!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I was thinking yesterday about the biocube i have that is currently fishless. I was planning on selling it but the market seems too low to do that right now on Craigslist so I'm thinking of keeping it and doing a brand new tank with it!

There is currently about 35lbs of rock, 30lbs of sand and some snails left in there along with some kenya tree corals everywhere. So far I think I should remove the rock and replace it with tonga branch rock. Not a whole lot, but enough to make a nice rockscape.

I was thinking of an invert tank with corals as the final result. I had given thought to seahorses but I don't think the tank's dimensions would make them happy. :-(

So I guess what I am asking of all you people is for suggestions on remodeling the biocube! Anything you come up with would be appreciated as I think I may be at my creative end fish tank wise since I've done so many. lol

I'm even considering adding an led hood to replace the flourescents. Been scouring ebay since yesterday for ideas and cost. If you've done an led upgrade please post where you got the parts and how hard it really was to do.

For corals I don't really want anything to light demanding, no SpS really, maybe a monti cap on top but thats about it for hard corals. I was thinking LPS and softies, give the tank a nice flowy look to it. Least that's what I'm thinking.

Lets see, what else to mention as far as ideas? lol ......

I was also thinking maybe, just maybe a pair of clowns if I decide to do fish in it, still not sure what I wanna do with this setup so bear with me....I also would want a red bubble tip anemone if I went with the clowns.

I think thats it for now!
Just looking for any options I haven't thought of with this tank, so come one and get creative for me! I need the help! lol

Woohoo!!! Another Carey build!! I say you should do a sps dominated tank with LEDs. There is a site called rapidled.com, they have a kit or that. I think you could buy it prewired too, it would be plug and play. A pair of clowns with a small goby and an Acro crab would be super cool. Would really bring out the diversity. Maybe even a few sexy shrimp. In Florida, there is a store called worldwide corals. I've been there and they have amazing corals with a few cool fish too. I know florida is a huge state, just thought id share. If you do go LEDs, I would add a few Uvs and cyans, People have had good results with them.

Cant wait to see this thing :D

Edit: saw the no sps really part.. Lol. Maybe do a Lps with some blue Xenia ( clevipitularia spelled something like that). An anemone would do well in a tank like that, if you got the lights of course.

I think you should do your Black Ice Clown paradise. You've been talking about Black Ice Clowns for some time. Some flowing torch corals, hammers, and a rose BTA to create an undersea jungle for your clowns. Have the anemone sit in the middle and surround it with LPS? Just a thought! =)

Talked to the boyfriend about keeping the tank last night and while I didn't get a NO or you're crazy I didn't get an ok from him so the new project is on!

First thing I need to do is get the live rock out that I have in there now. Not sure where to put it as the 20g rimless is also full of rock. lol Thinking of moving it to the 125g maybe, there's some room in there now since I robbed it of rock for the 60g rimless tank. lol

Next consideration is the sand. I currently have maybe 20lbs of pink fiji sand in there. Should I take this chance to change out the sand or just leave it be ya think? I know I don't want black sand, had it in the pico and it was a bear to keep clean. lol So not sure what to do about the sand yet......I also need to sand sift through the sand with a fish net to get all the bristle worms, snails and shells out of it, theres quite an accumulation of shells and other crap on the bottom of the tank.

Since there is a group buy coming up with BRS I was thinking of getting about 10-15lbs of their tonga branch rock. Anyone used that kind or know if it's good or not?

Thats the immediate plan so far, get the tank ready and then I guess i'll decide what goes in. I am also reading ALOT of information on the DIY led's. It looks like I may have to upgrade the lights as well. So if you have a good website for led parts or for the actual work involved PLEASE PLEASE share it here with me. I need all the help I can get. lol

I like the look of the pink fiji. The sand really pops when you use LEDs on a tank with light colored sand....at least I've noticed. Up to you though.

I bought some of their tonga branch by accident when first setting up one of my tanks. I really liked the look of it in a larger tank. I don't think I'd use it in a 29g. The branch rock is awfully thick in diameter. Smallest diamater branch I got was about 1.5" across. I called back later and they said they didn't really receive too much branch with a thinner diameter. Maybe call them and see what they have? Either way I think it looks awesome in larger tanks and I like the look of an acro or monticap on the ends/tops of the branches. Just cool looking.

So far i still like the caribbean rocks as they are flat and easy to scape with. The tonga might be cool though. In terms of sand, get the pink! Tie it in with what was said above. Your black ices in a tank that sways in the wind...or water in this case.

If you are to get pink sand, I think it would be good if you mixed it with white so it wasn't as intense. I don't think corals would look as cool if the sand was brighter than them.

The sand I current;y have is the pink fiji, it is mostly a beige sand with some pinkish grains. It';s not at all overpowering. Just wondering if I should switch it out for something else maybe?

Oh, I thought it was one of those bright oink sands with no white/beige. I think you should keep it, pink would look nice!

Here are some pictures of the current status of the cube. As you can see there is alot of rock in there and lots of those corals just sprouting up out of nowhere. lol If anyone reading this is local to me in Florida it's yours for free. :-D I won't ship it, too much hassle and I wouldn't like the idea of it maybe dying in transit.

Anyway, I am gonna move two of the rocks out tonight and the rest of the rocks I will move over to the 20g tank for now. For the time being I will leave the frags in the cube, they are really liking the lights, especially the sympodium, I swear it's doubled in size in like 2 weeks. lol

Still looking at led diy kits too so if you all know any online places you can steer me to that'd be great.

As far as stocking I was thinking maybe mini maxi anemones? Then i could get a few anemone crabs that would hang out in there. I know clowns wouldn't host those though but I am not set on adding any fish so it may be ok.

Here's another thought, what about an anemone tank? Rock and flower anemones, with the mini maxi's and maybe a RBTA? Would shrimp be ok with nems? I'm thinking fire shrimp, peppermints and maybe a cleaner? Or would the nems eat them?

img_1990643_0_96520909f30c85312aa2e8ea9db70ccc.jpg

img_1990643_1_ce6dd9abd8ec8db830d42678dddf6eb0.jpg

img_1990643_2_4de8f1780315f71c7fad594513e1cd52.jpg

img_1990643_3_b6c354cd426fd6c9b300f0b41f6a8efe.jpg

img_1990643_4_b9fdac7797d0798fda2467040ef9fbcb.jpg

The shrimp might get eaten, especially of you add a lot of anemones. Two good sites for LEDs would be rapidled.com and ledgroupbuy.com.

Someone in Florida is going to be very happy lol.

Sooo I've been out on the net pricing and reading everything I can about leds. I am looking at this now....

Do you think 24 would be enough? Or should I get more than that?

Aquarium 24 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

How would I mount the heatsink to the hood? And does the heatsink get that hot? Can it melt the plastic hood? Also, thinking this might be the time to add cool moonlights. I have found single strip led's that can be put in the space where the cirrent moonlights are. But they say they fasten with velcro or tape I think. Won't that get too hot too?

Sorry for all the questions but I need a new project and this diy led thing might be it. I am gonna need a boat ton of help though. I hope you guys can help guide me through it. lol

Thanks for reading everyone!

Still havent moved the live rock out of this cube yet, lol, I'm hoping to get ambitious tonight. hehe

carey said:
Sooo I've been out on the net pricing and reading everything I can about leds. I am looking at this now....

Do you think 24 would be enough? Or should I get more than that?

Aquarium 24 LEDs Dimmable DIY LED kit with optics

How would I mount the heatsink to the hood? And does the heatsink get that hot? Can it melt the plastic hood? Also, thinking this might be the time to add cool moonlights. I have found single strip led's that can be put in the space where the cirrent moonlights are. But they say they fasten with velcro or tape I think. Won't that get too hot too?

Sorry for all the questions but I need a new project and this diy led thing might be it. I am gonna need a boat ton of help though. I hope you guys can help guide me through it. lol

Thanks for reading everyone!

Still havent moved the live rock out of this cube yet, lol, I'm hoping to get ambitious tonight. hehe

For your tank, that would probably be fine. Its on the lower end though. The heatsink isnt going to get that hot, just don't touch the bottom. You could mount it to the hood and it will be fine. Moonlights stay completely cool. I have some, they aren't hot at all. Look into uv LEDs, people have seen a lot of fluorescence with corals while using them. They can be used as moonlights too. DIY LEDs are the way to go, it's a really fun project, and will look nice once your done.. Don't you have a controller? You could put your LEDs to it as long as you use a 0-10v driver, that way you could use the sunrise/sunset settings.

How many 3w LEd's do you think I would need to be medium to high light? I have a controller but it's on another tank. :-(

I would use the dimming knobs at first until I could get a basic controller.

So I just gut the underside of the hood and attach the heatsinks with led's onto it? Then run all those wires and crap. And where would I put the drivers? Not sure they would fit under there, I;d need 2.

I'm liking the anemone tank idea more and more.....;-) we'll see what happens I guess.

carey said:
How many 3w LEd's do you think I would need to be medium to high light? I have a controller but it's on another tank. :-(

I would use the dimming knobs at first until I could get a basic controller.

So I just gut the underside of the hood and attach the heatsinks with led's onto it? Then run all those wires and crap. And where would I put the drivers? Not sure they would fit under there, I;d need 2.

I'm liking the anemone tank idea more and more.....;-) we'll see what happens I guess.

Sorry, that number of LEDs is fine. I've seen it one someone's tank, it can keep any coral/ anemone you want. I'll put a link to the video of the tank with the LEDs. It's the same tank as yours.

There's a cheaper alternative to a controller that still lets you have dimmable settings, it's a typhon led controller boostled.com

There's a bunch of how to's on installing them, I personally don't know how though.

Edit: here's the video, a lot of good things have happened with his tank since then.

Good link, thanks!

So it looks like 24 dimmable one will be just fine. The guy in the video used the solderless kit though which is not for sale anymore at rapidled. They do say on their webpage that they are coming out with a new kit end of june/july so maybe I;ll see what that has to offer.

That controller is also put of stock at rapidled, lol. I was looking at the potinantor(sp) for dual color dimming. Not fancy but it looks to be able to do the job. I can't see myself really messing with the intensity too much so I may be able to pull this off. LOL

Thanks cowbell for all your help so far. :)

And nope, no angler tank for me. lol

Back
Top Bottom