Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Fail safe, means they don't fail. Gravity is something you can definitely count on. How is it going to flood something if it never stops working?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #42
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
How so if you dont mind me asking- "fail safe to prevent flood"

Gravity never turns off. That's the difference between that and hob overflows, which can lose siphon from an air bubble.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When they talk about *Bean Animal* " safe fail" system they are talking about the fail safe as in no flood. If its a durso stand pipe with only one drain pipe and whatever may be the reason that something gets stuck in that drain pipe (fish, big snail etc) that is where your flood will come from. Sump water got to go up but cant come down. It must have happened to someone at one time-right?....Anyways that is your flood scenario . The other part is that it is "super silent" which is great.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any drill holes in the tank are a potential leak risk. beanimal, youranimal...anyanimal. It's ridiculous to think a snail or fish is going to clog a drain line on a durso setup. it just doesn't happen. this would mean the snail would have to climb over the overflow teeth and go all the way to the bottom of the overflow box, then up the standpipe, and into the drain hole, before the tank keeper misses to realize it. Odds of that?
The "big fish" scenario is just as far fetched.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Note: I didnt come up with the system or the reason with it or the name. The other missing part is that it is "super silent" which is why the bean animal is used. Over the thousands of replies on reef central i think people like it...just sayin
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Carey's 40b Reef Build

What about drilling the back of the tank and doing a coast to coast overflow? If fail safes are a concern there is a nice drain setup with three separate drains.

Skip that just realized that's the same as the bean animal.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just feel that there is absolutely no need to drill 3 holes in the back of a tank to drain water. Many people have silent tanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was under the impression that the 1.5 inch hole for the overflow would be silent. If you go to 1 inch it makes a sucking sound from what I;ve read.

Still waiting on word from the guys, I will be seeing them on Saturday at our monthly reef meeting so I may have to wait until the weekend. :-((((
I may make a surprise visit to the guy making my stand for the 60g....I'm kinda hoping I can convince him to drill the two holes for me for the inconvenience of having to wait at least two extra weeks for the stand. lol
Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
What about drilling the back of the tank and doing a coast to coast overflow? If fail safes are a concern there is a nice drain setup with three separate drains.

Skip that just realized that's the same as the bean animal.
Bean Animal Some of these risk taker reefers even go as for as 5 holes . Two for the return on 1 on each side. I might setup up the 40b like that.

Wont be long before you are running....at least the holes will be done this weekend
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok. I have that reef club meeting tonight and I need to be prepared with what I want/need done.

I know I need a 1.5 bulkhead for the overflow. Gonna go with just a single hole for that. BUT the part I can't figure out is the return hole(s).

I would love to do what Mr X mentioned, have a single 1 inch bulkhead and have it cut off to two different .50 spray nozzles. I have not for the life of me been able to find a reducer that will reduce from 1 inch to .5 inch. Would it have to be slip or would there be a female threading so I can just use the actual bulkhead which I could get with a thread. See, I'm confused.

And I think Mr x is gonna question this, but what about having two .50 holes drilled on either side of the overflow hole? Neat and clean. Is it worth the extra risk to drill the extra hole?

Thanks, let me know guys. I don't wanna look like a total noob at the meeting, I'd rather you guys see me as a noob.LOL

Tags
build, care, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com