Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know what you mean. I will definitely miss Mandy too. She always seemed super happy though in the videos and pics!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aww red, your comments are always so nice and thoughtful. thanks alot for always being there for me and my tanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem, I really enjoy following and trying to help when I can!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Figured I;d post this on one of my threads, maybe more people can help me figure this out.

So I have lost every fish that was in my 10g tank waiting to go into the 60g. :-(

First the mandarin, who I was thinking died of stress from the move. But now not so sure. Then came the clown fish, one died and the other jumped out of the tank about an hour later. The clown that died in the tank had a coating on him, and his scales seemed to be peeling. Then came the yellow clown goby, same peeling of the scales. And finally the green clown goby yesterday, same symptoms. Not sure if brooklynella affects fish other than clowns so maybe that was it? or was it marine velvet?
Each fish died about a day apart, except for the clowns. No fish was new in any way, the newest fish were the perc clowns who I had for maybe 6 months, maybe more. So how could I have introduced an illness?

Anyone who can help with this it would be most appreciated! I am at a loss right now and not sure how to proceed. I still have a single live rock , a bunch of hermits and snails and a tank full of coral. I'm clearly not going to put more fish in this tank but is it safe to move whats left to the 60g when I set it up?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you reading my posts!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be afraid that whatever is in the tank could transfer on the rock and/or water. I have the same dilemma with my 240g. I want to grab a few pieces of live rock to add to my holding tank, but don't want anything tagging along.

As for disease...I think Brook is most common in clowns, but I think it can be on just about anything. Maybe the stress lowered immunity and it was lurking in there not able to do anything, but it struck when it could? I'm not totally sure, but MV seems more like it would not need as weak an immune system to hit and it usually wipes tanks out in a matter of days.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I was leaning towards velvet cause of the speed at which it got the fish. Five fish in less than like 5 days......

I have only the one large rock in there, I think I will pull that out and put it outside to die off. I have never seen any signs ever of anything with these guys. The green clown goby has been around for years too. Just so baffled
Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How about ammonia poisoning? I do not think some common illness was the culprit. If it was, it was because a stressful environment was present. You had the fish for 6 months.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All levels were zero. i was testing twice a day just to be sure. The shedding of their skin has me concerned. The yellow clown goby, the lightest color of all the fish didnt have any red around the gills or anything else. He was still a bright yellow even underneath the sloughing scales.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Carey, I just finished my 40g breeder build. Filled her up today. Dont sweat drilling the tank. Its so easy. I was very adamant about it, but soon realized that it was super easy. Just cut a template and let the weight of the drill do the work. Took me 2 min. Im sorry for all you fish losses. Hopefully this 40g will turn everything around.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well looks like I will be moving forward finally with this tank!
I have all the drilling stuff, the bulkheads and finally an overflow for inside the tank.

I am going to use the mp10 for sure in this tank now so that will take care of the flow hopefully. Planning on adding 2 powerheads on the back wall of the 60g so i will just swipe the mp10 that was in there. lol

The next thing I am going to buy are the lights!!! I should be able to buy them within a few days, maybe tomorrow, just waiting for a payment to hit my credit card. lol Also found out i can spend my "miles" from my credit cards on amazon so I found the fixture i wanted on their site. Its; this one

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Now, i am completely aware that this light will only do for softies and the such BUT I really have no intention of adding any more light demanding corals like SPS to the tank so i think I will be good. I guess i will be the guinea pig and be the first to get them. LOL

i am really interested to see how the light can be controlled, I;ve read through the owners manual already and it seems really neat. Also cant wait to see what a lightening storm will look like.

I am going to get the 36-48 inch fixture so i can get the maximum light available that will fit on the tank. Any opinions or thoughts from you all?

Very excited to finally get this moving again, I hate stalls. lol

Tags
build, care, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com