Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I want you to try this fixture and report your findings. I suggest against the lightening storm feature though, because all it does it scare the fish. Flick your light on and off 4 or 5 times quickly, and you'll have seen the lightening storm feature. If you have sps in one of your tanks, frag a little piece off and try it under this fixture.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Regular

Velvet literally looks like the fish is covered in white velvet. The fish will flare gills rub on rocks. Very similar to ich but more noticeable and more deadly.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll report back with what results I get, no doubt. I've seen many, many people ask about them so it should be good information.

I wouldnt do the lightening storms frequently or anything, I just wanna see how it looks. I saw it on the radion and it was pretty neat.

The velvet or whatever it was, caused a nasty whitish film on the fishs body, kinda like the gills and skin were sloughing off. No spots or anything and each fish died about 24 hours or less after becoming infected.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some more updates, even a day can change things. lol

I will be waiting for saturday the 8th to get my tank drilled. Chatted with the other officers of the club and we decided since working with acrylic was out next topic this saturday that a tank drilling would be a good thing to demonstrate to the members.
SOoo next saturday night it will be drilled.
But in the meantime, I ordered the orbit led's from amazon today and they should be here by thursday or friday. I'm really getting psyched to see them in action, they have all the features that I bought my reefkeeper for and no expensive controller necessary. Now all they have to do is keep coral for me. lol And, yeah, I will orobably buy a cheap 5-$10 frag of a monti and place it kinda high and see how it does. probably will get another stunner chalice too, that one seemed to grow really well in the bicoube so it will probably do well under these new lights.
Also got my ideas all together for some other goodies. I have to go out to Daytona beach for a dr appt Tuesday so I will swing by my favorite stores and get some stuff. First thing on my list is fiji pink live sand. While i really like my pool filter sand I think this will be a nice change. Only question is how much sand do I need? Think I could get away with one single 20lb bag? I want a very shallow sandbed, just enough for small gobies or jawfish to be happy. or will I need two bags for a total of 40lbs?
Also, one lfs has some nice base rock for $2.5 a lb and I really really think i am gonna go with that for this tank. I was gonna pick up 20lbs and see how well it fills the tank. I dont want alot of rock this build as this will be my coral tank, at least thats the plan.
Still have the 60 rimless, which would make a cool coral tank as well, but the lights being uber bright have been an issue in the past.
Yep, another long post by me lol. I just wish I could get all my thoughts out without it taking up half a page. hehe
I still have a zillion other things in my head right now but I will try to save them for later.
And of course, it's almost time for stocking thoughts. So if you have a good idea for fish or fishes let me know. thats always a great post when i see suggestions and people really seem to like to help with stocking so have at it.
i am wanting a twin spot signal goby for sure, and yep, I know they can be a challenge but after doing right by mandy I think I can do it. I will of course have some inverts, might go after the more unusual ones this build I'm thinking. I'd love a sponge crab, a strawberry crab and the scarlet hermits. Also want to add some shrimp, I miss not having any. I'd like a couple cleaners, and maybe a gold banded or blue banded, depends on how the rock work comes out. Oh, and at least one porcelain crab, love those guys.
And yet, this post goes on! This is it, I'm done for now.

Thanks everyone for continuing to follow my builds and reading my threads.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #75
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Go with 2 bags of sand Carey. If you end up with a jawfish...and knowing you one will appear in there, it will be happier with things being a tad deeper than what one bag can offer.
Why a strawberry crab? I was under the assumption those guys weren't very reef safe? Am I confusing my crabs again?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm not totally sure, one lfs sold them and kept them in a coral tank so i was just assuming they were reef safe.
Yeah, I was trying to keep the sand cost as low as possible so that i could maybe get the fiji pink for the 60g as well lol. Maybe 30lbs of sand will do? And save 10lbs for the 60g when I'm ready? I've never had a 36 x 18 tank before so not sure how much sand will be too much or too little.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Pardon my ignorance, but you are traveling to Daytona BEACH, to buy sand from a store? Why not just scoop some up?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, I dont think you are allowed to take sand, are you? I'll be right by the water too, only a few blocks away.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are The fish stores in Daytona Poseidon or amazing aquariums?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I will be getting my sand from Nick at poseidon as well as some base rock. He must have just started carrying it cause I have never seen it there before.
I will then go to AD over at amazing to get some di resin. lol AD us the one making the custom stand for the 60g. he is incredible, a little chatty but still an awesome guy and great source of information.

Since you seem to be somewhat local, have you been over to exotic reefs in new smyrna? Its run out of their house but they have some really really cheap corals. Not a huge fish selection but they do order on request.

Tags
build, care, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com