Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what you mean. I will definitely miss Mandy too. She always seemed super happy though in the videos and pics!

Aww red, your comments are always so nice and thoughtful. thanks alot for always being there for me and my tanks.
:)

Figured I;d post this on one of my threads, maybe more people can help me figure this out.

So I have lost every fish that was in my 10g tank waiting to go into the 60g. :-(

First the mandarin, who I was thinking died of stress from the move. But now not so sure. Then came the clown fish, one died and the other jumped out of the tank about an hour later. The clown that died in the tank had a coating on him, and his scales seemed to be peeling. Then came the yellow clown goby, same peeling of the scales. And finally the green clown goby yesterday, same symptoms. Not sure if brooklynella affects fish other than clowns so maybe that was it? or was it marine velvet?
Each fish died about a day apart, except for the clowns. No fish was new in any way, the newest fish were the perc clowns who I had for maybe 6 months, maybe more. So how could I have introduced an illness?

Anyone who can help with this it would be most appreciated! I am at a loss right now and not sure how to proceed. I still have a single live rock , a bunch of hermits and snails and a tank full of coral. I'm clearly not going to put more fish in this tank but is it safe to move whats left to the 60g when I set it up?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you reading my posts!

I would be afraid that whatever is in the tank could transfer on the rock and/or water. I have the same dilemma with my 240g. I want to grab a few pieces of live rock to add to my holding tank, but don't want anything tagging along.

As for disease...I think Brook is most common in clowns, but I think it can be on just about anything. Maybe the stress lowered immunity and it was lurking in there not able to do anything, but it struck when it could? I'm not totally sure, but MV seems more like it would not need as weak an immune system to hit and it usually wipes tanks out in a matter of days.

Yeah, I was leaning towards velvet cause of the speed at which it got the fish. Five fish in less than like 5 days......

I have only the one large rock in there, I think I will pull that out and put it outside to die off. I have never seen any signs ever of anything with these guys. The green clown goby has been around for years too. Just so baffled

How about ammonia poisoning? I do not think some common illness was the culprit. If it was, it was because a stressful environment was present. You had the fish for 6 months.

All levels were zero. i was testing twice a day just to be sure. The shedding of their skin has me concerned. The yellow clown goby, the lightest color of all the fish didnt have any red around the gills or anything else. He was still a bright yellow even underneath the sloughing scales.

Hey Carey, I just finished my 40g breeder build. Filled her up today. Dont sweat drilling the tank. Its so easy. I was very adamant about it, but soon realized that it was super easy. Just cut a template and let the weight of the drill do the work. Took me 2 min. Im sorry for all you fish losses. Hopefully this 40g will turn everything around.

Well looks like I will be moving forward finally with this tank!
I have all the drilling stuff, the bulkheads and finally an overflow for inside the tank.

I am going to use the mp10 for sure in this tank now so that will take care of the flow hopefully. Planning on adding 2 powerheads on the back wall of the 60g so i will just swipe the mp10 that was in there. lol

The next thing I am going to buy are the lights!!! I should be able to buy them within a few days, maybe tomorrow, just waiting for a payment to hit my credit card. lol Also found out i can spend my "miles" from my credit cards on amazon so I found the fixture i wanted on their site. Its; this one

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Now, i am completely aware that this light will only do for softies and the such BUT I really have no intention of adding any more light demanding corals like SPS to the tank so i think I will be good. I guess i will be the guinea pig and be the first to get them. LOL

i am really interested to see how the light can be controlled, I;ve read through the owners manual already and it seems really neat. Also cant wait to see what a lightening storm will look like. :-D

I am going to get the 36-48 inch fixture so i can get the maximum light available that will fit on the tank. Any opinions or thoughts from you all?

Very excited to finally get this moving again, I hate stalls. lol

I want you to try this fixture and report your findings. I suggest against the lightening storm feature though, because all it does it scare the fish. Flick your light on and off 4 or 5 times quickly, and you'll have seen the lightening storm feature. If you have sps in one of your tanks, frag a little piece off and try it under this fixture.

Velvet literally looks like the fish is covered in white velvet. The fish will flare gills rub on rocks. Very similar to ich but more noticeable and more deadly.

I'll report back with what results I get, no doubt. I've seen many, many people ask about them so it should be good information. :)

I wouldnt do the lightening storms frequently or anything, I just wanna see how it looks. I saw it on the radion and it was pretty neat.

The velvet or whatever it was, caused a nasty whitish film on the fishs body, kinda like the gills and skin were sloughing off. No spots or anything and each fish died about 24 hours or less after becoming infected.

Some more updates, even a day can change things. lol

I will be waiting for saturday the 8th to get my tank drilled. Chatted with the other officers of the club and we decided since working with acrylic was out next topic this saturday that a tank drilling would be a good thing to demonstrate to the members.
SOoo next saturday night it will be drilled.
But in the meantime, I ordered the orbit led's from amazon today and they should be here by thursday or friday. I'm really getting psyched to see them in action, they have all the features that I bought my reefkeeper for and no expensive controller necessary. Now all they have to do is keep coral for me. lol And, yeah, I will orobably buy a cheap 5-$10 frag of a monti and place it kinda high and see how it does. probably will get another stunner chalice too, that one seemed to grow really well in the bicoube so it will probably do well under these new lights.
Also got my ideas all together for some other goodies. I have to go out to Daytona beach for a dr appt Tuesday so I will swing by my favorite stores and get some stuff. First thing on my list is fiji pink live sand. While i really like my pool filter sand I think this will be a nice change. Only question is how much sand do I need? Think I could get away with one single 20lb bag? I want a very shallow sandbed, just enough for small gobies or jawfish to be happy. or will I need two bags for a total of 40lbs?
Also, one lfs has some nice base rock for $2.5 a lb and I really really think i am gonna go with that for this tank. I was gonna pick up 20lbs and see how well it fills the tank. I dont want alot of rock this build as this will be my coral tank, at least thats the plan.
Still have the 60 rimless, which would make a cool coral tank as well, but the lights being uber bright have been an issue in the past.
Yep, another long post by me lol. I just wish I could get all my thoughts out without it taking up half a page. hehe
I still have a zillion other things in my head right now but I will try to save them for later.
And of course, it's almost time for stocking thoughts. So if you have a good idea for fish or fishes let me know. thats always a great post when i see suggestions and people really seem to like to help with stocking so have at it.
i am wanting a twin spot signal goby for sure, and yep, I know they can be a challenge but after doing right by mandy I think I can do it. I will of course have some inverts, might go after the more unusual ones this build I'm thinking. I'd love a sponge crab, a strawberry crab and the scarlet hermits. Also want to add some shrimp, I miss not having any. I'd like a couple cleaners, and maybe a gold banded or blue banded, depends on how the rock work comes out. Oh, and at least one porcelain crab, love those guys.
And yet, this post goes on! This is it, I'm done for now.

Thanks everyone for continuing to follow my builds and reading my threads.

Go with 2 bags of sand Carey. If you end up with a jawfish...and knowing you one will appear in there, it will be happier with things being a tad deeper than what one bag can offer.
Why a strawberry crab? I was under the assumption those guys weren't very reef safe? Am I confusing my crabs again?

I'm not totally sure, one lfs sold them and kept them in a coral tank so i was just assuming they were reef safe.
Yeah, I was trying to keep the sand cost as low as possible so that i could maybe get the fiji pink for the 60g as well lol. Maybe 30lbs of sand will do? And save 10lbs for the 60g when I'm ready? I've never had a 36 x 18 tank before so not sure how much sand will be too much or too little.

Pardon my ignorance, but you are traveling to Daytona BEACH, to buy sand from a store? Why not just scoop some up?

LOL, I dont think you are allowed to take sand, are you? I'll be right by the water too, only a few blocks away.

Are The fish stores in Daytona Poseidon or amazing aquariums?

Yep, I will be getting my sand from Nick at poseidon as well as some base rock. He must have just started carrying it cause I have never seen it there before.
I will then go to AD over at amazing to get some di resin. lol AD us the one making the custom stand for the 60g. he is incredible, a little chatty but still an awesome guy and great source of information. :)

Since you seem to be somewhat local, have you been over to exotic reefs in new smyrna? Its run out of their house but they have some really really cheap corals. Not a huge fish selection but they do order on request.

Back
Top Bottom