Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL huma....I got the generation one BUT they just started offering a kit to upgrade the gen 1 to gen 3 pro!!! Its either 150 or 250 more but still alot less than the gen 3 pro if bought new. :)

I am very excited, should be here saturday or monday.

As for the leds on the 40b, i got the program setup and the lights are currently running in my garage over the tank. LOL I think the intensity will be more than enough for softies and LPS. These lights are very bright, I'm actually surprised.

i do like that aspect of the Radions, simply buying pucks to upgrade them. the one thing that REALLY bugged me with the Radions was the fact that they are asking anywhere from $500-$800 per fixture and i have to pay extra for hanging kits.... even the chinese $100/fixture lights come with a hanging kit lol. never quite added up in my head

Im hoping I can use the hanging kit from the chines fixture I had over the 60g. Do you think it will work?

never really got a good look at the Radions mounting points. i dont think the actual fixture comes with the screw in bolts that anchor it to the cable. if that is the case, id venture to say the chinese fixtures anchors prob wont screw into the radion.

Never fear, I have this one! The Radion basic assembly has 4 holes on each corner that come with a nut/screw system to hang each unit from a 'ceiling' style assembly. There is also the other mounting assembly, but last I looked into it they just bolted different units together. This was awhile ago since I bought both my Radions as Gen 1. Either way it is pretty easily to hang. I'll take a picture when I get home around midnight so you can see it.
Now, one of my Gen 1 died and due to it being under the year warranty, I now run it and a Gen 2. There is an upgrade kit that takes the 1 to a 3?! I'd love to look into that. The improved level of performance and updating from the Gen 1 to a 2 ALONE was simply amazing. I struggled right away getting both of the Gen 1 to sync together with the laptop from 2003 that I ran the software off of originally...was so slow and crashed constantly. More an issue with the computer, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
i do like that aspect of the Radions, simply buying pucks to upgrade them. the one thing that REALLY bugged me with the Radions was the fact that they are asking anywhere from $500-$800 per fixture and i have to pay extra for hanging kits.... even the chinese $100/fixture lights come with a hanging kit lol. never quite added up in my head
They will charge these prices as long as their are people who will pay them. Can you imagine the profit margin on these things?

I would never pay the full price new for one, I dont know what got into me when I bought the used one. lol I guess for the couple hundred bucks I wanted to try it and see what all the hub bub was about. I do like the software, I downloaded it already and it gives me the chance to really tune the lighting intensity, something I wasnt able to do so successfully with the tao fixture.

Not sure when I will send it in for the upgrade, I probably will wait a month or two. i will however put in the new tir lenses and the new bottom cover as soon as I can get them.

Ecotech has the right idea though, you buy the original fixture or pump aqnd you can upgrade it to the newest model without buying a whole new item. Thats kinda nice

True enough X. BUT you are paying less than the price would be if you purchased the new light or pump. Granted, I understand they are overpriced to begin with but if you take the plunge to begin with its not a bad deal. $400 is certainly not $750. lol

I'm still excited to get mine, I love trying new things and this one, if I bought it new would not be accessible to me.

Well, tomorrow is the big day! The tank will be drilled tomorrow night at the reef club meeting. :)

I plan on painting the back glass on Sunday and hopefully adding water on Monday!

Now, I have been thinking of the next steps. I usually just use live rock and have no cycle but with this tank i was thinking of just using the base rock. The 100lbs or so of Live rock I still have in a garbage can of saltwater will be for the 60g. I was thinking of trying the "dr tims" stuff.... I know it is hit or miss but I havent tried it yet so it might be a viable option.
I also will not be stocking this one with any large fish, just small ones and corals so even if it gives me a "light" cycle the added bioload of the small fish being added should allow the small amount of beneficial bacteria to catch up to the bioload. This is what i am figuring anyways. lol
Also, since all the coral I have left is in a 10g tank doing so so I want to get them into this tank asap and the coral doesnt really have a bioload so I am hoping to add them in as soon as the tank stabilizes.

Anyone have any good things to say about dr tims? I am very cynical about these miracle additives but thought I'd give it a shot.

Dr Tim's One & Only works. I know people are skeptical, but I have used it on my current 240g and my prior 75g and both cycled in less than a week. To check, I did the "dose to 4 ppm with ammonia" and it was zero 24 hours later. Since you will have a light load, it's never gonna get to. 4ppm, so you should be more than set.

Buy from them so you know it is not old stock. I get the ammonia that they sell and follow their instructions.

I forgot to take pictures last night Carey, I'm sorry. I'll do it tonight when I get home since it'll just be me, the dog, and time staring into my tank...if I can stop playing Rust that is.

I just feel that Ecotech has gone slightly past the whole "paying for high-quality" aspect, BUT I will be the first to admit that when I have the money, I would LOVE to buy the Radions.

It's an awesome investment. I love my ecotech products. How I hung them isn't very 'high quality'...but it works. I have a better idea to do in the future, but with a cathedral ceiling options are limited. About to drive home, pictures soon.

Thanks sniper, looking forward tot he pictures so I can get a better idea of what I need to do. :)

Sniper, how do the screws go into the actual light? Are the holes at each corner threaded?
Sorry, just confused a bit lol

Back
Top Bottom