Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been productive the last few days. :-D

Got the last few fish from the makeshift 10g tank into the 60g. yay!

The barnacle blenny promptly kicked out the yellow watchman from his rock and took it over. lol The neon goby is loving all the swim room, he looks much happier. I have not seen the green clown goby though since we moved him over. Not sure if he is hiding or if I lost him. Hope not, he was in the pico and I really like him.
Got the vortech going, and it must just be me, but i really dont think its such a stupendous product. I do like the streamline-ness of it and it pushes water well but it's just a powerhead in my mind, not that much better than the koralias I have.
was it worth the extra money for the coolness factor and how nice it looks on the tank? Jury is still out for me but I;m not horribly disappointed or anything, just expected more i guess. LOL

I also moved the clown fish I was fish sitting for from the biocube to the 90g. he also seems much happier in there. And if my girlfriend wants him back one day I guess we'll be fishing for him in the 90g. LOL

hmmm....anything else.....ah, yes, the bacterial bloom is gone if I havent mentioned it, was really annoying too but now the water is back to crystal clear. Oh, and my check valve failed this morning and the sump got filled almost to the top. Glad I had a good balance of available space in the sump and my output hose was placed ok to avoid a flood. :)

Thats it for updates for this tank. lol

Thanks everyone.

I put one in my nano a few months back and really noticed a difference! I noticed it's not so much about the flow, but rather the undertow it creates! It keeps everything suspended in the water column to be moved out through the overflow. I haven't really needed to blast off my rock with a turkey baster in quite awhile, although I do anyway. :) Give it a couple of weeks and play around with the different modes, I think you'll fall in love with it.

Yay, I love updates! LOL

The Green Clown Goby is probably just hiding, he is pretty small. :)

The green clown goby finally made an appearance last night! So glad! :-D

I have re thought my plan of micro fish also, the tank is just too big to have them, they will get lost in there. lol I may add a couple tiny guys but so far the only thing I have on my list is a couple chromis and maybe a chalk bass.

The green clown goby finally made an appearance last night! So glad! :-D

I have re thought my plan of micro fish also, the tank is just too big to have them, they will get lost in there. lol I may add a couple tiny guys but so far the only thing I have on my list is a couple chromis and maybe a chalk bass.

Great! That is fantastic!

I haven't seen my clown goby in over a week. I think he bit the dust. He was a shy eater he might have starved to death. No trace of him yet though so I still have a little hope.

But regarding your night appearance, my yellow one always seemed to come out at night!

Just as there was good news there is also some bad news. :-( My boyfriend found the yellow watchman on the couch, long past saving......

he managed to get to the top of the tank, which he didnt do an clear it and make it a few feet to land on the couch. Not sure how these fish keep doing this but it's really getting to be a bummer. :-(

This is the one tank I DID NOT want to put a cover or screen on so I guess I will just have to pick my fish more carefully.

Sorry for your fish loss Carey!!! I had the same problem with gobies and blennys!!! I dont know why they were spooked when someone approached the glass to see them and i even witness when my lawnmower blenny jumped once but the others did suicide jumps when i was not looking either!! Even a black percula so big and beautiful and playful made a suicide jump on my rimless!!! Those are sad moments!! I still have them with my rainbows and rasboras but thats the price i pay for loving the rimless or no cover tanks!!!

Wow carey that sucks... :( this is why i am soo happy to have a full top on my red sea max. Why do you dislike tops so much? :(

Cause i dont really like the black bar on the top or the whole light fixture with the lights!! I like to see an open space to see the water and the tank from the top too!!

Thanks guys for the nice words. It's always tough losing a fish, especially if you've had him for awhile. :-( Whats even worse is I bet the barnacle blenny was harassing him and most likely caused him to jump. They had been fighting over a burrow since I put the blenny in.
Saw the green goby again last night, he doesnt come out during the day now, just at night with the lights out. lol This tank is so much bigger than it looks kinda, I lose all the small fish in it hehe....even the clowns are in the back behind the rocks. Just weird.......

rimless are so nice. it just sucks when you loss a fish. they need to invent an invisible force field that keeps fish from jumping out. lol

LOL, like an invisible dog fence?

I've had fish jump out of a tank covered with eggcrate as well, if they want out they will find a way unfortunately. :-(

Sorry to hear about your goby. My Midas went mia on Tuesday after almost 2 years.

Finally got the skimmer for this tank. :-D Also picked up a 10 head or so acan while i was at it. The skimmer is already pulling some gunk from the tank even though it's only been in one day.

Getting a good amount of the green fuzz algae on the glass daily, makes the tank look like crap. lol Also had to cut my lights back, I am roasting the corals :-( Now have the whites on for 6 hours and the blues for 10. I think I may have lost my cephastrea(sp?), between the sand getting dumped on it and the high led lighting it is NOT looking so good.

Some pictures of course or it wouldnt be me!

img_1947090_0_366b83150d1d33d5be561d63dd4d234d.jpg

img_1947090_1_64717f2ebfe2046fa273d6a3dd7197e0.jpg

Not cool if you are rosting the corals!!! But the skimmer looks like da bomb of skimmers so i wish you the best of luck for your tank!! I hope the coral you think is dead is not!!

Back
Top Bottom