Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used a black background with tape and it's not ghetto at all lol. Nobody looks at that anyways it's allways what do you got in the tank .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
carey, what about doing some black vynil on the back? i've always thought about doing this ever since i had my car wrapped. its pretty easy to put on and you can get some that should work on ebay for cheap.

rebelyeller, just saw your from greensboro. thats where i'm from originally and my family still lives there!
Nice idea, I've never thought of using that stuff, but I might in the future.

(and I wish I was still in Greensboro, I'm in Wilkesboro now, if you've ever heard of it. Lol)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Do you think it would look "ghetto" if I used a regular back ground and taped it? Also I've only seen rimless tanks with no back ground. Not a single LFS near me has it painted or has the acyrlic layer. Not sure if it matters, but the back will be up against a wall that is in a corner kinda that non one can see really.

On this subject, how far out should I leave the tank from the wall? Most of my tanks have some access for me to get the back kinda, but this one is drilled so I don't actually NEED the space plus its only 24 inches long so I can get to the tank pretty easily even with my short arms. LOL
I don't think it would look ghetto, if you could get it to stay. I loath that stuff.
I would put it right against the wall, personally.

And here's a shot of a tank with a background. I like the look of the background myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-686684998.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	74206  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats an awesome looking tank! I hope mine looks that good when I'm done lol.

I'm kinda leaning towards leaving it with no background. grrr LOL I'm so unsure.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Thats an awesome looking tank! I hope mine looks that good when I'm done lol.

I'm kinda leaning towards leaving it with no background. grrr LOL I'm so unsure.
You could start out with it no background, leave it for a week or two, and then decide whether you like it or not. I think it would look nice either way, but that is no help, lol.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I sprayed my background black on my rimless, it helps hide to my mp10's dryside & cord and gives me a clean look. It also helps to make my corals "Pop"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full tank1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	74323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	74324  

Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks! I'm now kinda leaning to painting it. lol Yours looks so good with the background. lol Did you use latex or spraypaint adn what kind? I had some trouble painting my 90g recently, it kept peeling off.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was almost a year ago, but I'm pretty sure I just used Black Rust-Oleum spray paint from Lowe's, I did 3 light layer letting it dry between each.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks, I'll look into that then.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just ordered 80lbs of sand from reefrock.com.

Just need a sump, skimmer and the vortech. I even have all the plumbing parts for it including ball valves and check valves. I think I'm going to amke my own sump, well I think so. lol I moved my sick cichlid from the 10g he was in and moved him to a new 25g so I have a 10g tank already for the sump. Then I'll need a filter sock mount, silicone and some cutting boards (tip from MrX) to make my walls in the sump.

I also just ordered the jbj ato tonight so thats another thing outta the way.

I'm really needing some help with this sump and skimmer decisions. The only premade sump i can find that can fit is the eshopps RS75 which would give me a 10 X 10 spot for my skimmer. BUT any decent skimmer is too big. I've also heard that the return pump compartment isnt really that big, i need to make sure my mag 7 will fit. If i make my own sump I can do it custom and have enough room for a skimmer,

ALSO, i have no idea what kind of skimmer to get. LOL I'm not used to these small tanks lol, so i was figuring getting a skimmer rated for 125g. I can also just take the skimmer out of my 125g and use it here in the 60g adn get a new monster skimmer for the 125g.

Help? LOL ANything you guys can offer input on, please share, either the skimmer, sump or return pump I need help on.

thanks.

Tags
60 gallon, build, cube, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com