Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am moving along at a snails pace but I'm getting more goodies. lol

Just picked up a filter sock holder. And i decided to make my own sump and use a 10g tank. I'm not going to spend the xtra cash on a premade one, still not sure if thats a smart move or not. Still kinda stuck on the skimmer, I was eyeing the skimmer Mr X uses for my 125g and then I can fit the eshopps skimmer from there into this tank's sump.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comements or critique? I'm getting closer and closer to the date I can get the actual tank and stand and I want everything to be ready and on hand.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
is back to save the day!

Reef Octopus makes some incredible skimmers, as well as Bubble Magus. Right now I have a bubble magus on my cube and I absolutely love it. Couldn't be happier. You can adjust it to run really wet, or really dry so it collects a sludge rather then a watery skimmate.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks! I think I am leaning on getting the bubble magus for my 125g and then hand me down the ershopps to the 60g. I have an octopus on my 90g fowlr but not pleased with the skimmate or the skimmer itself. I figure leave that there since it shouldnt be skimming as much as a reef tank would need.
Does that sound like a good plan?

I also need some help with my sump that I wanna make. Is a mag drive 7 gonna be enough on the return line? And do i need to make baffles or can I just put one in so the skimmer level stays the same?

if you could help me out that'd be great!

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
is back to save the day!

Sounds good.

Whether or not the Mag 7 will be enough depends on the distance and height from the return pump, to the output of return line. So, look at the Mag 7's max head height, and then calculate how high it will be from the floor of your sump to the return nozzle in your tank and go from there.

As far as the baffles go, it really does help you in the end because the bubble trap at the end will really get rid of just about any micro bubbles, and there are two things in the sump that create TONS of micro bubbles. The skimmer, and the drain, which is the water flowing down from the overflow. When it crashes down it produces tons of bubbles.

If you don't mind millions of tiny bubbles in your display, then I guess you wouldn't need baffles.. :p
Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, so I figure the distance is going to be about 3 feet maybe 3.5 from return pump to the top of the return nozzle. According to the chart that will leave me with about 500gph. Is that enough? It doesn't seem like a whole lot but I am used to really fast flow rates so maybe I'm jaded. lol

I plan on a filter sock for the water to enter the sump, I just can't live without a filter sock now LOL so that should cut down bubbles too won't it? And as far as baffles go do I just need the one before the return pump or should I have one after the filter socks and before the skimmer? I'm gonna be working with a tiny sump so I'd like to conserve as much room as possible for the skimmer. If I put the eshopps skimmer in this sump then I need 12 X 8 for it to fit. IF I get a new skimmer for this tank instead of the hand me down then I need to keep the skimmer size small. Not quite sure what to do with the skimmers. Either the 125g or this 60g will get a new one just dont know which one. lol

Thanks for the input ZerO, I appreciate it. Any other guidance you can provide would be most welcome! This is only my 2nd drilled tank and I'm still kinda new with the whole sump concept.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
is back to save the day!

I think with only 3-3.5ft of head height, that Mag 7 will definitely provide enough flow. Still, if you ever want to change it out for something with more flow, you can absolutely do that too.

If you are not going to have a fuge, and you just want a section for the drain and the skimmer, then yes, you can just have a bubble trap leading to the return section, nothing more is necessary.

Just have fun with it.

Oh yeah! And also, not sure if you already know this, and I'm not sure if you are going with PVC or hose for the plumbing, but if you go with the flex hose, always use barbed fittings. I learned the hard way that just slapping rigid flex hose on smooth couplings with some pvc cement will ultimately fail overtime and begin to leak. :/
Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I will be doing a combination of PVC and hose. I like to be able to redo a section if need be so I like the hose connections. lol I have the whole plumbing setup already in my head, now just to get the darn tank and stand so i can start.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was hoping to get some money applied to the 60g setup from my boyfriend for valentines day but he wanted to buy me a new desk instead. It literally WAS falling apart but I kinda wanted to get the tank and stand soon. Oh well, looks like it won't be til the last week of February when i get money. The new desk also meant that I had to move my biocube to the spot I have reserved for the 60g. We actually pushed the cube across the pergo floors, I didn't even take any water out. lol But now I can't see the tank like I used to, the mandarin used to swim right by me, not 6 inches away.

So since I am somewhat stalled for now, at least til more goodies come next week I figured I'd throw some stocking ideas out there. This is just a practice run, I haven't totally researched each fish yet so it's my first draft pretty much. I have been thinking of moving the B&W clowns from the biocube and putting them in the 90g, not so sure i want fish that big in the 60g. LOL I also have the engineer goby that is currently in my 20g rimless. He is about 4 inches now and growing fast so i need to move him. I was thinking the 125g or the 90g, no idea which one he'd be happier in. Anyway, here is the list, it's long but these are tiny fish for the most part.

From the cube i will be taking: citron goby, blue mandarin, scooter, yellow watchman goby and a firefish.

from the 20g i will be moving: Barnacle blenny, neon goby, yellow and green clown gobies.

What I am looking at adding:
Black clown goby
Brown clown goby
Greenbanded goby
red headed goby
Hi fin banded goby
Tail spot blenny
canary blenny
black sailfin blenny.

As far as inverts I have the following already: 1 cleaner shrimp, 5 peppermints, 1 porcelain crab, a turbo snail which I will probably move to the 90g soon and misc snails and hermits. I don't plan on any snails in this tank as it's rimless and I just know I will find exploring snails on the floor. LOL

I want to add a fire shrimp and another 2 cleaner shrimp. I'll probably go with about 20 hermits and I need 2 more emerald crabs. Just found one dead in the biocube today so he definitely needs to be replaced.

Any other small or micro fish you guys can think of? I really wanted a catalina goby but they are cold water fish. other than that I think I may have them all listed. lol

thanks for reading and if you all have any suggestions, comments or advice please feel free to post! Always looking for a set of fresh eyes.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a great plan!

What do you think of this fish?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Court Jester Goby
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, he was on my list too just kinda left it off the list with a few others. I didn't wanna go totally crazy on stocking. hehe

Tags
60 gallon, build, cube, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com