Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a naso tang lol jk How about a pair of Picasso clowns?

I have a pair of b&w clowns in the biocube and everything is going into the 60g so I can sell the 20g rimless and the cube.

Do you have any good ideas for fish? I'd like to get either a couple of schooling fish like the chromis or a single fish say maybe 4 inches or so at adulthood. It can be a non reef safe fish since this tank will never go reef. I'd also like either a peceful fish or at most semi aggressive.

Shoot me some ideas people!! LOL

Thanks

I have a pair of b&w clowns in the biocube and everything is going into the 60g so I can sell the 20g rimless and the cube.

Do you have any good ideas for fish? I'd like to get either a couple of schooling fish like the chromis or a single fish say maybe 4 inches or so at adulthood. It can be a non reef safe fish since this tank will never go reef. I'd also like either a peceful fish or at most semi aggressive.

Shoot me some ideas people!! LOL

Thanks

Wait, I am confused, would you like ideas for the 60g or 90g, or both, lol.

Just the 60g for now. lol Sorry...hehe

I think i have the final stocking list for the 90g finally. :-D

I've heard they are hard to keep for any length of time, I've avoided them since. lol cool lookign fish though. I like the blue grudegon(sp) too. lol

I'm kinda leaning towards getting a few of the blue/green chromis. If they school like the ones I have in the 125g that'd be awesome. :)

Did you look at the fish I listed? See anything that raises a red flag? They are all considered peaceful except for the clowns that are semi aggressive.
You don't think I want too many fish do you? The bulk of the stocking will be from the 2 tanks I have already.

I've been thinking about the clown fish situation I have on my hands. There will always be a pair in the 125g so that one is easy. BUT I kinda wanna move the b&w clowns from the cube to the 90g. Doing that would allow me to get another set of clowns for this 60g. I have always wanted snowflakes or black ice clowns. :) And the price seems to have dropped on them which is a nice bonus. lol

I think i am going to get a mag 9.5 for the return by the way. I can't get the tank and stand til the end of the month anyway. This means I have a 1500gph pump as backup if I ever need it.

I've been giving corals some thought too. I am pretty sure the LED fixture I bought will be enough to keep anything I want. It's a 120watt total with 3watt leds. Against my better judgement I am considering an anemone for this tank. The lighting will be there so the first hurdle will be easy. I've been looking at the red bubble tip nems, can anyone help out on this?

Lots of questions! I kept telling everyone I would be on here non stop once the build got under way. Sorry for all the questions, I still have like 20 more in my head. LOL

So come on folks speak up! LOL I need some help. :-D

I just looked at the Tribal Blenny and he looked pretty cool too. :)

I think adding the Chromis with your micro fish would be a perfect idea. It would make for a very interesting and balanced tank! :)

Snowflake and Black Ice Clowns are actually my two all time favorite Clownfish species. They are two of my all-time favorite fish too! They look amazing, I would like to get some kind of designer Clown for my 125g (to pair off with my normal Occellaris in there)!

As far as the list goes, nothing screams "not getting along" to me. Then again, I don't know a lot about some Gobies and Blennies so I am not 100% sure. :)

List looks great carey! I have a question though, can you add 24 fish because they are all so small? Im only adding 5-6 to my 30 gallon, and they are all nano fish too..so doesnt that mean you should shoot for 10-12 fish?

Im just wondering, i think the tank will look awesome

I think that the larger amount of fish would work because these fish are all pretty much smaller than most fish in the stores these days.

I think that they are considered "micro" which is a step under "nano". :)

redsea said:
I think that the larger amount of fish would work because these fish are all pretty much smaller than most fish in the stores these days.

I see, but arent firefish, clowns, dragonettes, and the larger gobys that are listed a step above micro?

I see, but arent firefish, clowns, dragonettes, and the larger gobys that are listed a step above micro?

I think so, but I think a lot of the fish on the list like the Clown Gobies would be considered "micro". :) So there are a few nano fish, and then there are some micro fish. Sorry for making this sound so confusing! lol.

redsea said:
I think so, but I think a lot of the fish on the list like the Clown Gobies would be considered "micro". :) So there are a few nano fish, and then there are some micro fish. Sorry for making this sound so confusing! lol.

Oh yea, there are definitly alot of itty bitty fish..but once again, im just wondering.:D

I just looked at the Tribal Blenny and he looked pretty cool too. :)

I think adding the Chromis with your micro fish would be a perfect idea. It would make for a very interesting and balanced tank! :)

Snowflake and Black Ice Clowns are actually my two all time favorite Clownfish species. They are two of my all-time favorite fish too! They look amazing, I would like to get some kind of designer Clown for my 125g (to pair off with my normal Occellaris in there)!

These are both selectively bred color variants of the same species, Amphiprion ocellaris.

These are simply constructs given to fish by hobbyists that want to categorize them. They do not constitute rules by which to stock IMHO.

Personally, I think that this is a TON of gobies that inhabit the same strata and function, if you will, in the tank. Adding the blennies and dragonets to the mix only complicates things IMHO. I'm far from an expert in marine tanks, but the experience I do have tells me that you may have problems with this setup. Again, take that for what it is. ;)

Last edited:
What I was thinking on doing was to get the setup all running and add say the 20g fish first to the 60g. Let them settle in and then move the fish over from the biocube. I have no real problems with aggression amongst each tanks fish. After I was done getting both tanks safely into the 60g then I was going to stock maybe 3 or 4 of the fish,. Wait a bit and if all is well then break up the rest. I definitely wouldn't just throw a bunch of gobies in a tank and hope for the best. LOL

i think i am up to the challenge of trying it. I will still feed the dragonets like I do now and as long as they keep on eating I think they'll be ok. :)

I may actually move the b&w clowns to the 90g if the need arises and the lawnmower blenny might go to the 90g as well.

Have you ever seen a goby or blenny tank S.M? I'm curious if anyone else has had success or if not what happened.

Thanks for the input though. i appreciate it. :)

Sounds like a plan carey! I didnt expect you to dump them all in lol! But it did make me think about the stock.

As long as everything stays stable then i guess you could keep stocking!

Lol... see, I forget that you already have the dragonets, and that you already have them eating prepared foods. That surely complicates things less.

To answer your question, no, I have not seen a mostly goby and blenny tank. I'm purely basing my opinion on my experience with working at a friend's lfs for a couple of years, and on owning a 60 gal cube- not sw at this time, but I am certainly familiar with the footprint. Let's call it an educated guess, nothing more. :)

LOL, Good enough!

I've been researching for awhile now and chose the fish on my list very carefully. The key is to have everything properly balanced. :) I stuck with all peaceful fish for the most part and adhered strictly to the size requirement that I set for myself. . I had to take a few off my list because of it.

I think a goby/blenny tank would be pretty awesome, with them just swimming through the corals all day.

From the ones I listed did any throw up a red flag for you? As far as temperment, diet or just general knowledge? If I do this I want it to have the best chance for success and anything you can chime in on feel free. :D

Back
Top Bottom