Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am moving along at a snails pace but I'm getting more goodies. lol

Just picked up a filter sock holder. And i decided to make my own sump and use a 10g tank. I'm not going to spend the xtra cash on a premade one, still not sure if thats a smart move or not. Still kinda stuck on the skimmer, I was eyeing the skimmer Mr X uses for my 125g and then I can fit the eshopps skimmer from there into this tank's sump.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comements or critique? I'm getting closer and closer to the date I can get the actual tank and stand and I want everything to be ready and on hand. :-D

Reef Octopus makes some incredible skimmers, as well as Bubble Magus. Right now I have a bubble magus on my cube and I absolutely love it. Couldn't be happier. You can adjust it to run really wet, or really dry so it collects a sludge rather then a watery skimmate.

Thanks! I think I am leaning on getting the bubble magus for my 125g and then hand me down the ershopps to the 60g. I have an octopus on my 90g fowlr but not pleased with the skimmate or the skimmer itself. I figure leave that there since it shouldnt be skimming as much as a reef tank would need.
Does that sound like a good plan?

I also need some help with my sump that I wanna make. Is a mag drive 7 gonna be enough on the return line? And do i need to make baffles or can I just put one in so the skimmer level stays the same?

if you could help me out that'd be great!

Thanks!

Sounds good.

Whether or not the Mag 7 will be enough depends on the distance and height from the return pump, to the output of return line. So, look at the Mag 7's max head height, and then calculate how high it will be from the floor of your sump to the return nozzle in your tank and go from there.

As far as the baffles go, it really does help you in the end because the bubble trap at the end will really get rid of just about any micro bubbles, and there are two things in the sump that create TONS of micro bubbles. The skimmer, and the drain, which is the water flowing down from the overflow. When it crashes down it produces tons of bubbles.

If you don't mind millions of tiny bubbles in your display, then I guess you wouldn't need baffles.. :p

Ok, so I figure the distance is going to be about 3 feet maybe 3.5 from return pump to the top of the return nozzle. According to the chart that will leave me with about 500gph. Is that enough? It doesn't seem like a whole lot but I am used to really fast flow rates so maybe I'm jaded. lol

I plan on a filter sock for the water to enter the sump, I just can't live without a filter sock now LOL so that should cut down bubbles too won't it? And as far as baffles go do I just need the one before the return pump or should I have one after the filter socks and before the skimmer? I'm gonna be working with a tiny sump so I'd like to conserve as much room as possible for the skimmer. If I put the eshopps skimmer in this sump then I need 12 X 8 for it to fit. IF I get a new skimmer for this tank instead of the hand me down then I need to keep the skimmer size small. Not quite sure what to do with the skimmers. Either the 125g or this 60g will get a new one just dont know which one. lol

Thanks for the input ZerO, I appreciate it. Any other guidance you can provide would be most welcome! This is only my 2nd drilled tank and I'm still kinda new with the whole sump concept.

I think with only 3-3.5ft of head height, that Mag 7 will definitely provide enough flow. Still, if you ever want to change it out for something with more flow, you can absolutely do that too.

If you are not going to have a fuge, and you just want a section for the drain and the skimmer, then yes, you can just have a bubble trap leading to the return section, nothing more is necessary.

Just have fun with it. :)

Oh yeah! And also, not sure if you already know this, and I'm not sure if you are going with PVC or hose for the plumbing, but if you go with the flex hose, always use barbed fittings. I learned the hard way that just slapping rigid flex hose on smooth couplings with some pvc cement will ultimately fail overtime and begin to leak. :/

I will be doing a combination of PVC and hose. I like to be able to redo a section if need be so I like the hose connections. lol I have the whole plumbing setup already in my head, now just to get the darn tank and stand so i can start.

I was hoping to get some money applied to the 60g setup from my boyfriend for valentines day but he wanted to buy me a new desk instead. It literally WAS falling apart but I kinda wanted to get the tank and stand soon. Oh well, looks like it won't be til the last week of February when i get money. The new desk also meant that I had to move my biocube to the spot I have reserved for the 60g. We actually pushed the cube across the pergo floors, I didn't even take any water out. lol But now I can't see the tank like I used to, the mandarin used to swim right by me, not 6 inches away.

So since I am somewhat stalled for now, at least til more goodies come next week I figured I'd throw some stocking ideas out there. This is just a practice run, I haven't totally researched each fish yet so it's my first draft pretty much. I have been thinking of moving the B&W clowns from the biocube and putting them in the 90g, not so sure i want fish that big in the 60g. LOL I also have the engineer goby that is currently in my 20g rimless. He is about 4 inches now and growing fast so i need to move him. I was thinking the 125g or the 90g, no idea which one he'd be happier in. Anyway, here is the list, it's long but these are tiny fish for the most part.

From the cube i will be taking: citron goby, blue mandarin, scooter, yellow watchman goby and a firefish.

from the 20g i will be moving: Barnacle blenny, neon goby, yellow and green clown gobies.

What I am looking at adding:
Black clown goby
Brown clown goby
Greenbanded goby
red headed goby
Hi fin banded goby
Tail spot blenny
canary blenny
black sailfin blenny.

As far as inverts I have the following already: 1 cleaner shrimp, 5 peppermints, 1 porcelain crab, a turbo snail which I will probably move to the 90g soon and misc snails and hermits. I don't plan on any snails in this tank as it's rimless and I just know I will find exploring snails on the floor. LOL

I want to add a fire shrimp and another 2 cleaner shrimp. I'll probably go with about 20 hermits and I need 2 more emerald crabs. Just found one dead in the biocube today so he definitely needs to be replaced.

Any other small or micro fish you guys can think of? I really wanted a catalina goby but they are cold water fish. other than that I think I may have them all listed. lol

thanks for reading and if you all have any suggestions, comments or advice please feel free to post! Always looking for a set of fresh eyes. :-D

LOL, he was on my list too just kinda left it off the list with a few others. I didn't wanna go totally crazy on stocking. hehe

LOL, he was on my list too just kinda left it off the list with a few others. I didn't wanna go totally crazy on stocking. hehe

LOL. I will probably end up overstocking my 125g, I'm afraid I have that "just one more fish", :lol:. That just means I need to keep on on PWCs :)

Last edited:
Got my JBJ ATO today for this tank. :) WOOT! The sand is due this week as well but I've heard that reefrocks.com is real slow so who knows. lol

Also went to visit my 60g setup today. I can't wait to get it home! Just $350 more dollars and it's all mine! hehe... The LFS owner said people are going crazy over the tank in the store and he's going to be getting one soon as well for his shop. I love my LFS!! I'm just in a giddy mood cause I got fish gear today and did ALOT of window shopping for fish and corals. But I was so good i didn't buy one thing. Saving it all for the tank. :-D

Kee ordered some sand from reefrocks.net (which I'm guessing is where you're referring to) and it got there within a few days. My order was delayed a bit because his wash plant was down. Still only took a week or so. You'll love the sand. Unless something has changed in the 2 months since I bought mine, you'll not need to even rinse it. Mine never clouded the first bit, even with me stirring it up to get all the little air bubbles out.

I am getting ready to try and find a mag 9.5 for my 40b. THe mag 7 just isn't cutting it... though I suppose the 64" of head height isn't helping matters. If you're used to more flow, you'll probably like the 9.5 better.

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on whether I want the 7 or the 9.5. The only thing is I have the 7 already so I would have to spend more to get a 9.5. I put the only 9.5 i had in the 90g. lol Musical pumps over here. I also have a mag 5 which is way too low and a mag 18 which is way too much. Just can't win.

So the sand is good huh? NICE! It was so cheap too. I figured since I am planning on going all out with this tank I might as well get aragonite instead of my usual pool filter sand. :)

Did you get a tracking number or anything for the rock/sand? Do you remember what carrier they shipped with?

He shipped the sand via USPS Large FlatRate. The mail man wasn't very pleased as he said 'Here's the plutonium you ordered'. It's got some chunks of shells, etc in it, but it's nice and heavy and has never blown around. My tank was literally crystal clear after I filled it up.

I got a tracking number once it finally shipped. I had called and asked about it, and spent an hour on the phone with him (be prepared if you call). Since he's in florida, it shouldn't take long at all to get to you. He said he supplies rock to several other online retailers in the area, which is why his is cheaper than anyone else.

Since you already have the 7, go for it. It's easy enough to swap out if you decide you want the 9.5.

Well there is one issue if i start with the mag7 and go to the mag 9. LOL The output is 1/2 inch for the 7 and 3/4 inch for the 9 so I'd have to re do my return line plumbing. Just hoping the 7 will be enough. I also plan on using an mp10 for flow so that should help as well. I hope anyways. It better for the price lol

Unions! Unions are marvelous. Just put one on the return line and if you do decide to change to the 9.5, all you have to do is change out half the union. Makes taking the pump off a lot easier too.

Back
Top Bottom