Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been mentioning this upcoming build here and there and figured now was the time to make my build thread. :-D

What I have in mind is a full reef with SPS and tons of tiny little micro fish. I've been ordering parts here and there over the last 2 months and finally went down to the LFS to put a deposit on the tank. I got the deep blue 24 X 24 X24 cube with built in overflow and the matching series 1 stand.

So let me run these ideas by everyone...

Return Pump is a mag7.- Good enough? I plan on using a ball valve just in case.
Already got my LED fixture, 3 watts each for a total of 120 watts. I hooked the light up over my 20g for now and it's really nice and I'm pretty sure it will be enough coverage. I also got the brackets that get screwed into the back of the cabinet and will suspend the LED fixture.
I'm going to order my sand from that reefrocks place, I'm figuring 80lbs? Not planning on having a deep sand bed so I guessed that would be enough lol
I'm going with a 100watt aqueon heater, probably wont ever go on since I live in Florida but I wanted one just in case. I plan on one MP10 for circulation but will use the 425's from the 20g for a couple weeks probably. And I have on order a JBJ ATO.

Now comes the stuff I would like input on. Sump. The inside dimensions are 23 X 23 so i can't use a 20g tank and I cant use a regular eshopps sump cause they are 24" and up. I also only have 27" of room top to bottom so I have to find a skimmer that isn't too tall so i can't empty the cup out when needed. lol
That's all I got for now, but count on a ton of questions from me. This is gonna be a great build. :-D

Thanks everyone for reading thru this long post. Please throw some ideas at me. Equipment, skimmer, gadgets, fish....Anything you want. I'm open to suggestions of any kind.
:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

The mag 7 will work as a return but you wont get a ton of flow from it. That what I use on my biocube. You could run a closed loop.

Also I would go with a mp 20 if you can. Other wise you will have your mp 10 cranked all the way up. All the the time.

I think a mag 9.5 would work better. Also, since the tank is 2' by 2' you could get by with a MP10 and have great results for the sps

I think the mp10 will be fine, after all its only 24 X 24. :) I would have gone with a mag 9.5 but I have this mag7 doing nothing so free is better than a new one. LOL I also don't want a tremendous flow coming back into the tank, I'll have good circulation with the MP10 I figure.

@rebelyeller You have opinions so you have input!! LOL

Like for instance, my next thought is if i should paint the back of the glass or not. Keeping in mind that it's a rimless tank. Not sure how I would paint the top of the glass, it most likely would peel. :-( If I do paint it I know it will be black.

I have soo many ideas I wanna run by you guys, lol, I'm trying to go through them slowly here so I can get some input before moving on to the next thing i have questions about. So please. let me know what you think everyone, you don't have to know the answers but any input is good input. :)

carey, what about doing some black vynil on the back? i've always thought about doing this ever since i had my car wrapped. its pretty easy to put on and you can get some that should work on ebay for cheap.

rebelyeller, just saw your from greensboro. thats where i'm from originally and my family still lives there!

Do you think it would look "ghetto" if I used a regular back ground and taped it? Also I've only seen rimless tanks with no back ground. Not a single LFS near me has it painted or has the acyrlic layer. Not sure if it matters, but the back will be up against a wall that is in a corner kinda that non one can see really.

On this subject, how far out should I leave the tank from the wall? Most of my tanks have some access for me to get the back kinda, but this one is drilled so I don't actually NEED the space plus its only 24 inches long so I can get to the tank pretty easily even with my short arms. LOL

I am so excited, congrats! I will definitely be following (I'm sure you already knew that, lol).

While I can't be much of a help equipment wise, I can offer some fish suggestions. :) I think since you already have Green, Citron, and Yellow Clown Gobies, you should also get a Black and a Brown. They are such awesome fish!

I think the tank would look good with no background, or a black one.

I used a black background with tape and it's not ghetto at all lol. Nobody looks at that anyways it's allways what do you got in the tank .

HPballer76 said:
carey, what about doing some black vynil on the back? i've always thought about doing this ever since i had my car wrapped. its pretty easy to put on and you can get some that should work on ebay for cheap.

rebelyeller, just saw your from greensboro. thats where i'm from originally and my family still lives there!

Nice idea, I've never thought of using that stuff, but I might in the future.

(and I wish I was still in Greensboro, I'm in Wilkesboro now, if you've ever heard of it. Lol)

carey said:
Do you think it would look "ghetto" if I used a regular back ground and taped it? Also I've only seen rimless tanks with no back ground. Not a single LFS near me has it painted or has the acyrlic layer. Not sure if it matters, but the back will be up against a wall that is in a corner kinda that non one can see really.

On this subject, how far out should I leave the tank from the wall? Most of my tanks have some access for me to get the back kinda, but this one is drilled so I don't actually NEED the space plus its only 24 inches long so I can get to the tank pretty easily even with my short arms. LOL

I don't think it would look ghetto, if you could get it to stay. I loath that stuff.
I would put it right against the wall, personally.

And here's a shot of a tank with a background. I like the look of the background myself

Attachments

• image-686684998.jpg
    image-686684998.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 262
Thats an awesome looking tank! I hope mine looks that good when I'm done lol.

I'm kinda leaning towards leaving it with no background. grrr LOL I'm so unsure.

Thats an awesome looking tank! I hope mine looks that good when I'm done lol.

I'm kinda leaning towards leaving it with no background. grrr LOL I'm so unsure.

You could start out with it no background, leave it for a week or two, and then decide whether you like it or not. I think it would look nice either way, but that is no help, lol.

I sprayed my background black on my rimless, it helps hide to my mp10's dryside & cord and gives me a clean look. It also helps to make my corals "Pop"

Attachments

• Full tank1.jpg
    Full tank1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 225
Thanks! I'm now kinda leaning to painting it. lol Yours looks so good with the background. lol Did you use latex or spraypaint adn what kind? I had some trouble painting my 90g recently, it kept peeling off.

It was almost a year ago, but I'm pretty sure I just used Black Rust-Oleum spray paint from Lowe's, I did 3 light layer letting it dry between each.

img_1777214_0_a976daba60c7975336c40064cb74b51f.jpg

I just ordered 80lbs of sand from reefrock.com. :-D

Just need a sump, skimmer and the vortech. I even have all the plumbing parts for it including ball valves and check valves. I think I'm going to amke my own sump, well I think so. lol I moved my sick cichlid from the 10g he was in and moved him to a new 25g so I have a 10g tank already for the sump. Then I'll need a filter sock mount, silicone and some cutting boards (tip from MrX) to make my walls in the sump.

I also just ordered the jbj ato tonight so thats another thing outta the way.

I'm really needing some help with this sump and skimmer decisions. The only premade sump i can find that can fit is the eshopps RS75 which would give me a 10 X 10 spot for my skimmer. BUT any decent skimmer is too big. I've also heard that the return pump compartment isnt really that big, i need to make sure my mag 7 will fit. If i make my own sump I can do it custom and have enough room for a skimmer,

ALSO, i have no idea what kind of skimmer to get. LOL I'm not used to these small tanks lol, so i was figuring getting a skimmer rated for 125g. I can also just take the skimmer out of my 125g and use it here in the 60g adn get a new monster skimmer for the 125g.

Help? LOL ANything you guys can offer input on, please share, either the skimmer, sump or return pump I need help on.

thanks. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom