Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still a heck of a deal I think. I was planning on 100lbs for the 90g and getting it from reefcleaners and that was gonna be over $200. Now I can go up to 120lbs and still have some left over for other applications.

The sand I'll probably be trying to pick up Monday while I'm near the only home depot I know that carries it is. I was thinking 150lbs of sand for this one. How's that sound? Little light maybe? It still is only a 4 foot tank

I think I'll go with 100lbs even. get two bags of it and call it done. lol

I want some sandbed but nothing crazy just in case any fish on my list need a sandbed would be my only concern there.

Just got done rinsing over 100lbs of rock, oh joy. But got all my filter socks done too so I had a productive pre evening. lol

I have 50lbs of the nicest stuff going into the 125g hopefully tonight, will post pictures over on that thread when I do, as I plan to totally rescape the 125g when I add the rock. :)

Now I have about 200 lbs of rock still. tempting to start yet another time, though not sure when. I think I will be good on tanks now. finally LOL

Been wondering if as usual I should paint the back of this tank like I have the others? It will be going up against a white wall and the off center overflow box is black so I thought, well paint it black. ;-)

Anyone think different? I don't want a blue background this time around and black seems to make everything pop in a way. And it also hides algae. Nice bonus.

Or is there some reason not to becasue of the built in overflow?

Thanks everyone!

carey said:
Been wondering if as usual I should paint the back of this tank like I have the others? It will be going up against a white wall and the off center overflow box is black so I thought, well paint it black. ;-)

Anyone think different? I don't want a blue background this time around and black seems to make everything pop in a way. And it also hides algae. Nice bonus.

Or is there some reason not to becasue of the built in overflow?

Thanks everyone!

I like black on the back of a tank also. Your right it does make everything pop. It really shows the fish nicely!

I'm also gonna concentrate more on the rock for this build so I have huge archways or something huge and open at least. lol No idea how I'd build an arch way unless I start drilling rod through the rocks to make a structure. But I want alot of fiery colorful active fish so I want them to have the most room they can!

carey said:
I'm also gonna concentrate more on the rock for this build so I have huge archways or something huge and open at least. lol No idea how I'd build an arch way unless I start drilling rod through the rocks to make a structure. But I want alot of fiery colorful active fish so I want them to have the most room they can!

Stack a couple of big pieces on the bottom and use a rock big enough to go over them... How I made mine.

Use both hands to help balance the pieces and let their weight and friction and locking from the piece next to them hold them in place

+1 on painting!

You do have the luxury of practicing your rock work on the floor or a table before you put it in the tank. Remember link-in logs

I think you should do a 3d rockscaping:) instead of trying to stack it nicely against the back wall of the tank. Stack it throughout the tank so they can swim in and out all around the tank.

That's more of what I was thinking. No leaning piles of rock but have it all over with places to swoop into and out of. I'm thinking major overhang and a graduated sculpture.

The hold fast stuff I got from my Lfs worked great for me and alot of the stuff I did with my 210. Just for what u want to to might have to build most of it outside the tank then place it in.

OK. so gonna paint the back black. One thing out of the way. In fact I can start that project this upcoming week. I still have to take all the packaging off the tank. its still in cardboard and shrink wrap.

I till have to get to the end of the garbage can as far as rinsing the new rock, I barely made a dent in in yesterday, 100lbs was all. :-(

Once I get all the rock rinsed and dry I will have a better idea of what kind of structures I can make once I spread it all out.

Good news got a hit just now on the 55g so hopefully this guy buys it and I can get the stand tomorrow. that would be HUGE! lol But it is from CL so you never know with these flakes. hehe

I also made some stocking changes and it seems this is gonna be a primarily wrasse tank. :) very excited as I done nothing but research the list of fish and am learning so much. I decided on a butterfly and the angel. And ditched the assessor and the soldierfish or squirellfish due to dietary issues.

carey said:
OK. so gonna paint the back black. One thing out of the way. In fact I can start that project this upcoming week. I still have to take all the packaging off the tank. its still in cardboard and shrink wrap.

I till have to get to the end of the garbage can as far as rinsing the new rock, I barely made a dent in in yesterday, 100lbs was all. :-(

Once I get all the rock rinsed and dry I will have a better idea of what kind of structures I can make once I spread it all out.

Good news got a hit just now on the 55g so hopefully this guy buys it and I can get the stand tomorrow. that would be HUGE! lol But it is from CL so you never know with these flakes. hehe

I also made some stocking changes and it seems this is gonna be a primarily wrasse tank. :) very excited as I done nothing but research the list of fish and am learning so much. I decided on a butterfly and the angel. And ditched the assessor and the soldierfish or squirellfish due to dietary issues.

U can use that silicon I put on my page for your rock... It's like super glue and aquarium safe!

I've spent the last two hours or so trying to arrange the rocks for my 125g. I keep changing my mind. LOL It's all apread out on the floor in front and I keep moving pieces from spot to spot.

I'm also entertaining the idea of using rods to mount my rock together in this tank. I'd like a a tall scape but not heavy on the rock, on the left I'd like a show stopper of a tall suspended rock piece almost like an oak tree branch branching off the tree.

LOL It's in my head but might be difficult to make work in real life. I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom