Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I started my 30 I bought about 35 lbs of LR from my LFS and was told there wouldn't be much of a cycle. They were right, in 1 week all 0 and nitrates 10. Waited another 2 weeks and still no spikes.

Took a chance and started stocking and all was well.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschmitt
When I started my 30 I bought about 35 lbs of LR from my LFS and was told there wouldn't be much of a cycle. They were right, in 1 week all 0 and nitrates 10. Waited another 2 weeks and still no spikes.

Took a chance and started stocking and all was well.
I had a similar experience. Waited three weeks and finally dosed pure ammonia and immediately zeroed am and trite and spiked trate.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont know much about that other stuff carey, but your plumbing will turn out to be easier than finalizing your stocking list or figuring out what rock to put where.

once you get going you will see.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm still not too sure I didnt go overboard with this upcoming build. lol

I was thinking the cycle would be quick too, what with 50lbs of established coralline filled algae rock. Plus I need to fill out some spaces in the 125g anyways.

Just hoping 100lbs will look good in such a large tank. I have 200lbs+ in my 125g. lol
Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Was starting to wonder about lighting. Since it's fish only I have no need for expensive lighting. I was planning on glass tops and using a 36" T8 doubel light strip that I happen to have. Will that much light even make it to the bottom of the tank? LOL

Theres a guy on CL selling a 48" double t5 for $25. Woudl this actually make any difference?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would want a blue bulb as well as a daylight lamp over a fish only, simply because it will make the colors on the fish pop, just like it does corals. buy the 25 dollar t5 strip and then use a blue plus and an aquablue special in it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Gotcha. Will email the guy back today.

Thanks!!

ps.- get a chance to peek at my other bulb thread in equipment? I know, I know, I;m a pishy type of gal...LOL
Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Gotcha. Will email the guy back today.

Thanks!!

ps.- get a chance to peek at my other bulb thread in equipment? I know, I know, I;m a pishy type of gal...LOL

Having typing problems? LOL. I'm trying to follow all your threads and dang it's hard to keep up.

Do you think Mr. X would just go for building our light sets for us LOL, less thinking on our part then.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

he is like my lighting guru. He got me hooked with his initital suggestion for my 55g and to this day I still love the color and function. I think he may have his hands full as he just picked up a 350g or 250g tank the other day. LOL

He's actually re doing a wall and putting it in. His thread is listed. Dougs 250 or 350 build. You gotta see what he's up to LOL
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, gonna have to follow.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com