Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I think I need to know for this build...maybe someone will chime in or I'll start another thread later to find out for sure. :)

carey said:
Hmm I think I need to know for this build...maybe someone will chime in or I'll start another thread later to find out for sure. :)

Let me know what you find out. I wonder if one is for DIY and one is for stand pipes like yours

Carey you could test the overflow to dtermine the tolerate, just fill the overflow completely up and then let it drain for a minute...whatever it drains in a minute, times that by 60 and there's your flowrate

Carey you could test the overflow to dtermine the tolerate, just fill the overflow completely up and then let it drain for a minute...whatever it drains in a minute, times that by 60 and there's your flowrate

I kinda wanted to know before I setup the tank and all. LOL

Isn't there a scientific formula or something or just a fact of how fast the flow would be?

I think if you got a pvc pipe with the same inside diameter, you could do the same test. Wish I knew off hand

I mean the flow rate of the overflow. ;-)

Does anyone know how many gph a 3/4 inch and also a 1 inch hole on the bottom of the tank will actually drop?

thanks in advance, I know someone has the information out there. lol

Hmm that's not a whole heck of a lot in my opinion. Is that sufficient for a 90g FOWLR tank? I have the mag 9.5 for the return pump already so I will for sure be adding a ball valve to it I guess.

I just looked and I have a 1 inch input hole and a 3/4 inch output hole drilled. I also need to split the single input into a double to accomadate my wet dry's 2 inputs. Won't I lose even more flow because of that?

thanks very much, I couldn't find where it says the flow rate but it is a neat website. :)

I just thought it was a point of interest given concern of the flow your overflow can handle. I am finding two different brackets of conflicting information about how much flow "x" diameter pipe can flow.

Yep, I'm following that thread too. lol

It shouldn't make a difference if it's diy or predrilled, a pipe can only flow as much as it can flow. Just wish I knew what that number was hehe... for sure anyways. I guess I'll find out by how much I have to choke back my return pump. Really wanted to know before that though. Just so I know.

So if a 1 inch flows 600 and a 3/4 inch flows only 330, how is it that the water will not overflow in the sump?

Anyone?

Overflow sump flow

That's the thread that has info pointing to 2 web sites. Last page. I don't know how to copy paste on the aa app for my phone.

I don't think you'll lose flow on the split, as mon as you go with a y-pipe instead of a t-pipe. Even then the loss prob isn't that noticeable id imagine.

Back
Top Bottom