Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And is anyone taking pressure into consideration?? If a 1" pipe flows 660gph, is that under gravity only or pressurized?? I could be wrong but pressurized pipes can push slightly more flow right

Absolutely, pressure will flow more. But is gravity enough to be noted?

I'm just seeking info too and in no way shape or form saying I know anything.

Now I'm more confused....:-(

Is there just a way to know how much flow a 1 inch hole going into tubing generates? Surely there has to be some math behind this LOL

As far as the split, I was gonna use a T but now that you mention it a Y fitting would make sense. Thanks!

I'm soo close too, I'm at the cusp of setting up. And this info will be handy in figuring out a lot of things regarding my tank as far as waterflow. I'd love to know whats going in and whats coming out gph wise and also so I can be sure i have enough flow overall including my powerheads.

i was always under the impression that a reef ready tank's overflow was rated for 1200gph. maybe it's 600? is it enough? of course it is. why would you need more than that?
btw, i have two 1' bulkheads on my 250 gallon tank.

two 1 FOOT bulkheads?? well no wonder you have great flow in your tank lol.
@carey- i believe i have a 1" pvc pipe sitting around, if i do,ill run a quick test on it and let you know.

An to add to mr_x. CPR overflows are rated by the bulkhead in the bottom of the box. The 600 gph has a 1". The next size up 900? Has 1.25? If I recall properly. That's what he was trying to tell us off the lifereef site correct?

Stop over thinking this and base or decisions off of those predetermined flow rates from manufacturers?

coffeetwitch said:
An to add to mr_x. CPR overflows are rated by the bulkhead in the bottom of the box. The 600 gph has a 1". The next size up 900? Has 1.25? If I recall properly. That's what he was trying to tell us off the lifereef site correct?

Stop over thinking this and base or decisions off of those predetermined flow rates from manufacturers?

That said, I would still like to know the math/science behind that and why a pipe distribution web site would have such high numbers posted for flow rates.

I was just concerned since i have 1200gph going in the 125g and the 90g isnt that much less than a 125g as far as volume. So a single overflow of 1 inch should be pretty much mated to a mag 9.5. thats good. And the single 600 gph is enough so I guess i will have to be happy with that. I tend to go on the heavy side as far as flow goes LOL

Sorry I can't give you flow rates but, I do understand fluiddynamics a bit. In fluids the base line from a pressue standpoint is inches of water column. In otherwords, in a column of water X inches high you will get a pressure at the base of Y lbs per sq inch. Increase the height and the pressure at the base increases At only a couple of inches, under gravity, a certain pipe will flow say 25 gallons an hour. If the intake to that pipe is rased to a few feet, the pressure will increase and the pipe will flow say 50 gallons an hour. Now, if you have a certain flow and you change the pipe sizes it will change the pressure at the discharge. When you hold your finger over the end of the hose the same amount of water at the same pressure is coming in from the faucet but the pressure at the discharge goes way up because the same amount of water has to go through a smaller opening.

So, since the pump is pushing the water out under pressure, it can use a smaller size pipe then the drain line. The drain line only has the pressure created by the differance in elevation between the tanks water level and the sumps water level. Less pressure means the pipe has to be bigger in order to flow the same amount of water as the pipe under pressure.

Sorry I can't give you flow rates but, I do understand fluiddynamics a bit. In fluids the base line from a pressue standpoint is inches of water column. In otherwords, in a column of water X inches high you will get a pressure at the base of Y lbs per sq inch. Increase the height and the pressure at the base increases At only a couple of inches, under gravity, a certain pipe will flow say 25 gallons an hour. If the intake to that pipe is rased to a few feet, the pressure will increase and the pipe will flow say 50 gallons an hour. Now, if you have a certain flow and you change the pipe sizes it will change the pressure at the discharge. When you hold your finger over the end of the hose the same amount of water at the same pressure is coming in from the faucet but the pressure at the discharge goes way up because the same amount of water has to go through a smaller opening.

So, since the pump is pushing the water out under pressure, it can use a smaller size pipe then the drain line. The drain line only has the pressure created by the differance in elevation between the tanks water level and the sumps water level. Less pressure means the pipe has to be bigger in order to flow the same amount of water as the pipe under pressure.

very well explained, thank you! i get that whole part now. :)

Still unclear about the flowrate via gravity though. lol

While we're on flow, do you guys think 2 koralia 750's would be enough for this tank? It's only fish only so I figured I could slack on the powerheads a bit. Budget is tight. :-( If I had my way I'd put in 3 1050's but I don't have the cash lol

I already have 2 750's from my 55g setup. I'm keeping the lights, powerheads, heater and skimmer. :-D just selling the tank, stand filter and LR with it.

But thanks! lol

Hello everyone new to the site, your tanks are amazing and i really enjoy following along. You might check out Flexpvc.com they have flow charts, also Reefcentral has calculators for alot of things. Hope this might help, i had fw awhile ago and have been looking into sw. Looks like a full time job and then some. Wish you all well, Dave

Back
Top Bottom