Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very interested in this cus I'm thinking up upgrading the over flow and pump to my 55 but don't know what is a good set up and what is maybe to much.

hey carey i did some more research, your 1" should be able to handle your pump wide open at 4'. i think even if you "y" or "t". just what im reading. im not too certain that you even need to worry about connecting water to both your sumps in's. isnt there a drip tray to disperse the water evenly?

carey said:
Yep, I'm following that thread too. lol

It shouldn't make a difference if it's diy or predrilled, a pipe can only flow as much as it can flow. Just wish I knew what that number was hehe... for sure anyways. I guess I'll find out by how much I have to choke back my return pump. Really wanted to know before that though. Just so I know.

So if a 1 inch flows 600 and a 3/4 inch flows only 330, how is it that the water will not overflow in the sump?

Anyone?

The overflow can only pass the same amount of water as is being returned to the tank " above the overflow level" so you could have an overflow rated at 1500gph paired with a 100gph return pump. Does that solve the issue at the base of the quote? As to the more recent question regarding a ball valve in the return line I see it as a no brainer to have one in there from the start that way if you need to throttle the pump back you don't have be a plumber an extra time. I have them on the 175 g return pumps even though I don't have the pumps throttled at all. I hope all that helps

Mike, the problem lays in that if you have a return pump rated at 800 gph for instance and your single overflow is only rated for 600gph, your return pump will gradually drain your sump because its pumping the water into the tank faster than it can drain into the sump..

Jerry rig a pressure indicator at the inlet's and outlet's and throttle til you get matching pressures. Just a suggestion. I had to see what my house pressures were so I rigged one up. You can rig one to any water application using a t in the line/pipe. You can install them with pvc too if you want it pernament, I think valves in both return and inlet are good idea, not just to throttle which ever one you do but also you can isolate the tank from the pump if you have a pump failure and replace the pump. Just another food for thought. Same with pressure indicator, put a small ball valve in line after the t for the pressure indicator and then if it craps out, you can cut off fluid to indicator, bleed off pressure then replace indicator.

Sorry didn't mean to babble, just trying to put some ideas out there to help out.

huma-huma said:
Mike, the problem lays in that if you have a return pump rated at 800 gph for instance and your single overflow is only rated for 600gph, your return pump will gradually drain your sump because its pumping the water into the tank faster than it can drain into the sump..

I agree with that and that is why you have the valve on the return line. If I was unclear I will sum it up the overflow cannot exceed what the pump is returning to the tank. If the pump is exceeding the overflow Max flow rate just close the valve on the return line a bit till you have them balanced

I may have found a buyer for my 55g tank! woohoo!

As soon as I can close the deal on it I will be buying the stand for this tank and the build will continue, err, well, start actually. lol

I also have been tweaking the stocking list a bit more and here is what I have so far:

Half Black Angel
Saddleback Butterfly
Flame Hawk

Now for the wrasses, I have a list but am not sure which will make the cut, I think it will depend on availability. :)

How many wrasses can I keep with the above 3 fish anyways? LOL Maybe 5 I was thinking? I want a very active tank and the wrasses don't seem to get very large.
Here is the wrasse list I am picking from, kinda long but I want to get the best ever fish! HAHA

Lubbocks Fairy
Scot's Fairy
McCosker
Red Velvet Fairy
Carpenters Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Vrolik's Wrasse
Harlequin Tusk

That gives me about 8 wrasses to choose from.

Anyone else have any suggestions as far as fish listed or maybe something I haven't considered? The Tusk is a maybe by the way, depends on price and availability when the time comes.

I won't be fish shopping today, I will be going out Monday instead though so I will check some more stores for stands and see if I don't find a better deal. I can't order the one stand for $240 until Wednesday anyways so I have a few more days to shop around. Just keep your fingers crossed that I sell the 55g. What's ironic is the same guy I bought the tank from sent me the email to buy it. LOL Pretty sure he doesn't remember me and how much I paid him for it. hehe... But we shall see.... ***fingers crossed***

Thanks everyone!!

good luck carey. i think that the tusk should be one of your fish. might be a chunk of change to get one but its something that you will look at everyday.

tusk is a must. i know its alot of money but its such a gorgeous fish. also i know your fish keeping skills are absolutely amazing so it shouldnt be a gamble for you.

huma-huma said:
tusk is a must. i know its alot of money but its such a gorgeous fish. also i know your fish keeping skills are absolutely amazing so it shouldnt be a gamble for you.

LA still has them on sale!!!

No fish shopping today.....darn :( lol! I love wrasses so much! I will add some to my future 180g....I just have to figure out how many of each gender I can have :). That is so funny that it is the same guy interested!!

I didn't give much thought to the gender of the wrasses, should I? I figured mostly males...unless they will fight. I also picked all peaceful wrasses too. None that I listed showed up as fighting with each other from my research.

You are probably right. I don't remember where, but I though I heard that sometimes with multipule males you may have some issues not sure though. :)

I havent emailed the guy back yet. LOL. I'm hoping to get it sold off this weekend. :-D And then ordering my stand on wednesday for friday delivery. OR just buying the expensive stand as soon as the cash from the 55g hits my hands.

No fair, I wanna a tusk too :-( What's 15 less gallons to a fish anyway??? lol

I'm looking to see what you come up with as far as how many of what and which wrasses LOL Whew hope that last sentence made sense. I don't know the same thing, how many of what can go with how many of what LOL.

Have you seen a juvenile harrlequin tusk? Looks absolutely nothing like the adults... my lfs had an australian juvenile for 149... I was SOOOO upset that I didn't have the money but patience is a virtue...I will have one soon enough lol

As a matter of fact, I may go back to my lfs tomorrow and see if he will hold it for me if they still have it. The juveniles actually are quite unattractive in my eyes

huma-huma said:
As a matter of fact, I may go back to my lfs tomorrow and see if he will hold it for me if they still have it. The juveniles actually are quite unattractive in my eyes

LA has it for 69... On sale!!!!

Back
Top Bottom