Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only problem is that's the indian ocean variant, its not quite as colorful as the australian ocean one...which is on sale for 150 I believe

huma-huma said:
Only problem is that's the indian ocean variant, its not quite as colorful as the australian ocean one...which is on sale for 150 I believe

It's the Australian on sale now for 150 for a medium.

Yep, it's on my list. :) It's a maybe fish though so we will see. Most of the fish I have picked out for this tank will be quite small and stay kinda small too. I'm thinking it would be ok not being in the 125g. I think the tank size recommended is because of the adult size not the swim room as it is with tangs. :)

carey said:
Yep, it's on my list. :) It's a maybe fish though so we will see. Most of the fish I have picked out for this tank will be quite small and stay kinda small too. I'm thinking it would be ok not being in the 125g. I think the tank size recommended is because of the adult size not the swim room as it is with tangs. :)

Says it needs plenty of swimming room in the description.. I know LA isn't the final truth, but I know how you feel about ur fish too... I'll look other places and see what they say too...

the internet is full of contradiction!!!

yellow or blue tang that only needs 50gallon tanks.
vs
125 minimum from liveaquaria.

like you said not the final truth.

I looked at two websites, which said 55 gallon and 50 gallon (which confused me because I though that would be WAY to small:confused:)

In the book Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael it says the Harlequin Tusk will need a 55g tank.:confused:

redsea said:
I looked at two websites, which said 55 gallon and 50 gallon (which confused me because I though that would be WAY to small:confused:)

In the book Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael it says the Harlequin Tusk will need a 55g tank.:confused:

See... Why I'm lost too... Where and who is the final word when it comes to these tank sizes?

Theres always contradiction on the internet as far as fish. I;ve seen 20g recommended for a blue tang somewhere. lol

I'm not 100% on the Tusk, gonna try to play it by ear and see how the tank adapts to the other fish. I would like to have it as my centerpiece fish pretty much. Only the angel and the butterfly are gonna get any size to them, kinda hoping a 4 foot tank will be enough for what I have planned. :)

carey ive read time and again how much you care for your fish. i have no doubt you can make a harlequin tusk happy in your 90g

That's real nice to hear. :)

I always doubt myself and probably shouldnt as much, but that's maybe why I have had some success with my tanks and stocking so far. When the 55g was my biggest SW I was so tempted to get a yellow tang like you wouldnt believe. Just a small one mind you, but I almost did it. I;m really glad I waited now and trusted my gut on that one. lol

My gut tells me a tusk would do fine in the 90g as long as I don't go crazy with the rock work. I really would like to make a tall structure out of it but I was checking out my base rock today and not looking good for that.
:-(

U make me wanna get one... Lol... But I gotta lot of rock, don't think mine would be happy.

It's gonna be weird not having two tons of rock in a tank. lol I'll be pushing over 250lbs in the 125g. I was thinking maybe using about 150 lbs of rock at most. That should leave plenty of room for the fish and hiding spots for others.

i know your sump is a wet dry correct. ive read people keeping a small about of lr in the dt just for aesthetics and keeping the rest in the sump for the purpose of what ever live rock does for saltwater.

I'm gonna try to run just the wet/dry with no rock and the bio balls and see if I can keep the nitrates under control. Like a whole new world this wet/dry thing lol

Back
Top Bottom