Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a wet dry with skimmer. Not the ideal filtration in my mind but I think it will be adequate. lol I hope so anyways....

Absolutely adequate. I would say that if you want to skimp on the rock in ur dt you would be ok. You are one that keeps up on maintenance so no worries.

That's just me.

Just found a stand on CL for $50. It looks like it is a deep cherry, maybe black I can't tell from the pictures exactly. Do you guys think it would look ok with my black tank or should I keep looking?

Thanks for any input, I havent called the guy yet cause it's too early but I don't wanna waste my time or his if you don't think the color would be ok. :-D

I'd get it. If it's solid and will work, can always re-stain it if you don't like the look.

im with kio, it its solid and fits what you need it to, color can be changed. and who's to say you wont like the deep cherry?

Just called and left a message for the guy. It's a full 75g setup with tank and canopy as well. and a cheap filter and lights :) I figure I can sell off the parts if need be to make up for the $50 LOL. I won't mind the cherry if it's a dark enough color I don't think, it will acutally match my dining room furniture. Just have to make sure it's at least 30 inches tall though so I can fit the 90g's sump underneath. :)

I would also go with it! I hope everything works out! The thing that matters most to me is that it will hold the weight of the tank. :)

Seems the CL deal is sold already. :-( Have a call out for a 75g setup for $75 so hopefully this one will pan out, it has a black stand and nice lights too. :)

Just finished draining the 55g and refilling it with regular unsalted water, also added about 2 cups of ammonia to the tank so I'm hoping that will kill off all the aiptasia. I also took all the rock out and was gonna let it sit in dry buckets outside so they die off of there as well.

I'm hoping that I can sell the 55g in like a week or two, should be enough time for everything to die LOL

I was in home depot tonight and to my surprise they had pool filter sand :-D

I got 3 bags totaling 150 lbs, I think that might be a bit much for a 48 X 18 footprint but I guess I'll see how it goes. Sand was pricier than last time too, it was $5.82 a bag. LOL And of course photos for posterity

img_1617629_0_8b819f65379ec4260d1cc39cf21b955d.jpg

img_1617629_1_9c402aed58a7e4d4d8e5726a7f098383.jpg

i cant find that sand anywhere!!! and when i ask they look at me like im crazy and making the sh*t up!

i bet you use all of it carey.

So far I've only seen it at home depot and not lowes or any other hardware type store. It is silica though I think, it doesnt say silica free on it and its made by the florida silica sand company so I'd venture a guess its got silicates in it. I took a close up of the bag for anyone needing it for reference.

I was contemplating earlier this week using aragonite sand but when it was just sitting there tonight I figured why not...plus it makes my setup complete except for the darn stand. LOL

is there anything I'm missing? Tank, sand, rock, heater, wet/dry, hoses, durso standpipe kit, glass tops, lights...2 750 koralias, skimmer, skimmer pump, return pump..... actually writing this all down I now need to get some 3/4" and 1" hosing....:)

But other than that is there anything that stands out that I'm gonna need?

***I didn't plan on a deep sand bed for this tank, gonna keep it simple hehe

Thanks everyone for following and responding, I soo appreciate all the help

I know, its crazy how much we all chit chat LOL. And I still am gonna have SOO many questions once I start plumbing this thing. I also have never run a wet/dry before so theres another bunch of questions to come. I'm starting to get really excited! it's getting so close I can smell it. I've been actively pursuing my stocking list and doing tons of research. it's kinda weird to go so slow with a build, usually I'm up and running within 2 weeks of acquiring a tank. hehe...

I know, its crazy how much we all chit chat LOL. And I still am gonna have SOO many questions once I start plumbing this thing. I also have never run a wet/dry before so theres another bunch of questions to come. I'm starting to get really excited! it's getting so close I can smell it. I've been actively pursuing my stocking list and doing tons of research. it's kinda weird to go so slow with a build, usually I'm up and running within 2 weeks of acquiring a tank. hehe...

Setting this up is right around the corner! I am excited too, I love watching peoples' builds, it is so much fun!

This has been slow going but the light is at the end of the tunnel.

I'm going today to checkout a full and complete 75g setup. :) I'll attach some pictures at the end of the post.

I have some questions though, of course!

The stand is a custom red oak one and sits 40" tall! That has it's good and bad points. It will make the top of the tank like 70" tall. I already would have needed a step ladder with the 30" stand so I'm not figuring that it will be much of a difference. ALSO, the stand isn't black...Should I bother to try to paint it?

And finally, I have been thinking of using the new 75g setup's sump. It's a 20g tank with a skimmer. Will that be sufficient for a 90g FOWLR? I'd rather use a sump than the wet dry I have already for it.

What do the experts and non experts say? I'm also now on the fence as far as painting the back of the 90g. Anyone have any pictures of their tanks with a built in overflow that is painted and some that aren't painted? I think the back might look better in black since the overflow is black but I'm not sure. lol

Anyways, here are the pictures of the setup I'm checking out today. It also comes with a 4 foot metal halide fixture, octopus skimmer, JBJ ATO, a current gamma UV sterilizer, a CPR continuous overflow and a bunch of other stuff.

img_1652885_0_25bffc0031bcb5c150698dd38ac7ce79.jpg

img_1652885_1_43016dc4a8e2158087f95d60ef02932c.jpg

img_1652885_2_a13cafef32556630d55405775965ecf7.jpg

Cool,

Let's see, if you paint your tank black, then I my mind I kind of invision the overflows kind of fading into the background. :)

In my un-expert opinion, I would think a 20g would be enough, especially since it will not be a reef (not sure if that makes a difference).

I guess painting the stand is all personal preference. Do you like black better, or do you like it's current color better? In my opinion, I tend to like black stands, but I probably wouldn't end up painting one.

Congrats on getting closer the the beginning of this build! :-D

Back
Top Bottom