Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #281
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Still a heck of a deal I think. I was planning on 100lbs for the 90g and getting it from reefcleaners and that was gonna be over $200. Now I can go up to 120lbs and still have some left over for other applications.

The sand I'll probably be trying to pick up Monday while I'm near the only home depot I know that carries it is. I was thinking 150lbs of sand for this one. How's that sound? Little light maybe? It still is only a 4 foot tank

Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #282
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, if it's just for aesthetics, 150 pounds is plenty. according to the sand bed calc-
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php
that should give you about 3". unless you need it, i would think an inch is fine.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I'll go with 100lbs even. get two bags of it and call it done. lol

I want some sandbed but nothing crazy just in case any fish on my list need a sandbed would be my only concern there.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #284
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just got done rinsing over 100lbs of rock, oh joy. But got all my filter socks done too so I had a productive pre evening. lol

I have 50lbs of the nicest stuff going into the 125g hopefully tonight, will post pictures over on that thread when I do, as I plan to totally rescape the 125g when I add the rock.

Now I have about 200 lbs of rock still. tempting to start yet another time, though not sure when. I think I will be good on tanks now. finally LOL
Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool! can't wait to see pictures. An aquarium always seems new when it gets requascaped!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #286
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Been wondering if as usual I should paint the back of this tank like I have the others? It will be going up against a white wall and the off center overflow box is black so I thought, well paint it black.

Anyone think different? I don't want a blue background this time around and black seems to make everything pop in a way. And it also hides algae. Nice bonus.

Or is there some reason not to becasue of the built in overflow?

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #287
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Been wondering if as usual I should paint the back of this tank like I have the others? It will be going up against a white wall and the off center overflow box is black so I thought, well paint it black.

Anyone think different? I don't want a blue background this time around and black seems to make everything pop in a way. And it also hides algae. Nice bonus.

Or is there some reason not to becasue of the built in overflow?

Thanks everyone!
I like black on the back of a tank also. Your right it does make everything pop. It really shows the fish nicely!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #288
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm also gonna concentrate more on the rock for this build so I have huge archways or something huge and open at least. lol No idea how I'd build an arch way unless I start drilling rod through the rocks to make a structure. But I want alot of fiery colorful active fish so I want them to have the most room they can!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #289
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'm also gonna concentrate more on the rock for this build so I have huge archways or something huge and open at least. lol No idea how I'd build an arch way unless I start drilling rod through the rocks to make a structure. But I want alot of fiery colorful active fish so I want them to have the most room they can!
Stack a couple of big pieces on the bottom and use a rock big enough to go over them... How I made mine.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #290
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use both hands to help balance the pieces and let their weight and friction and locking from the piece next to them hold them in place

+1 on painting!

You do have the luxury of practicing your rock work on the floor or a table before you put it in the tank. Remember link-in logs

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com