Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use a separate tube like this one and attach it to your pump.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Whoa! Think you need a plumber or something.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Use a separate tube like this one and attach it to your pump.

Thats what I figured BUT in the directions they say the return line should go through the overflow box and even has a notch to pop out to put the return nozzle in.

Thats whats confusing me. I thought with a predrilled you didn't have to have anything hanging.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea one hole feeds ur sump and the second is for the return line.

Mines is like it. One of my drain lines runs to a PVC T connector then to my sump and refug. Wish I had mine more set up to show u. But missing some more PVC pipe for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-387005854.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	50157  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

sump isnt paired up right with the tank. the holes in the tank looks like one is larger than the other. matching what was said earlier how one is a 1" line the other 3/4" your tank and plumbing is right the sump was meant for something with a dual overflow.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

im probably wrong but if you choose to keep all of it and use the wet/dry sump, you dont have to use both inputs on the sump side. just plumb as the tank allows. shouldnt some of the overflow kit for the tank have a return spout with it?

like a line lock adjustable direction thing?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i know some of this was already stated but its easier if i started from 0 the two holes drilled into the bottom of the tank inside the overflow, the 1" hole is for the drain, the 3/4" is for the return line, same goes with the 2 white pvc pipes, there should be plastic lug nut/bolt combos for each hole, to secure the piping and prevent leaks, id recommend using sealant on the rubber gaskets to insure water tight seal, the grayish vacuum hose looking pipes, use 1 to secure to 1" assembly on bottom of tank, and run to the first chamber with skimmer, watershould flow into that chamber, then overflow through the bioballs and continue on its way, then run 1-3/4" return line back to the 3/4 assembly in bottom of overflow. again im sorry if some of this was a bit obvious but my brain works better if just going through the whole thing at once.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
i know some of this was already stated but its easier if i started from 0 the two holes drilled into the bottom of the tank inside the overflow, the 1" hole is for the drain, the 3/4" is for the return line, same goes with the 2 white pvc pipes, there should be plastic lug nut/bolt combos for each hole, to secure the piping and prevent leaks, id recommend using sealant on the rubber gaskets to insure water tight seal, the grayish vacuum hose looking pipes, use 1 to secure to 1" assembly on bottom of tank, and run to the first chamber with skimmer, watershould flow into that chamber, then overflow through the bioballs and continue on its way, then run 1-3/4" return line back to the 3/4 assembly in bottom of overflow. again im sorry if some of this was a bit obvious but my brain works better if just going through the whole thing at once.

You explained it like a kindergarden teacher which is what I needed. LOL Thank you.

Should I just run one input into the sump then or should I split them like the picture above?

And yes, I'm gathering the sump was meant for an overflow box as the directions for it make sense for that.

Also, if I only run one input wont I need to turn down the return pump, ie: ballvalve since a mag 9.5 will be too much return pump for just one intake?

Should the tank have an extra hole drilled to make it easier? Or will that just complicate matters?

I slept on it and I really wanna keep this tank and setup, still a little on the fence but only becasue I think I;m overwhelmed by these setup questions. You all know I only set up my first sump a few monhts ago and that one took me awhie to understand but now that I do it;s easy peezy.

keep the suggestions, thought, ideas and solutions coming. The more options I have the better chance I have of keeping it.

Thanks so much guys so far you're all making me understand it a bit more.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
im probably wrong but if you choose to keep all of it and use the wet/dry sump, you dont have to use both inputs on the sump side. just plumb as the tank allows. shouldnt some of the overflow kit for the tank have a return spout with it?

like a line lock adjustable direction thing?

Yep, there is a whole box of extra plumbin parts including a return nozzle thingeee. And lots of pvc and elbows and other stuff lol.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just throwing my 2 cents in (because Carey needs all the cash she can get). Ok, thats not true but if I chime in I get to follow this one forever right?

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com