Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I like the green wrasse! Looks like a decent fish to add. I'll have to put him on the list of wrasses. :)

As far as my research has been on the brotulid it seems to point to it being a relatively easy fish to care for. But I'll take some more time and see if I come up with anything negative about them.

Thanks guys!

Are brotulids the same as brutulas? Is this it? If so, it is rated a 1 on the scale of hardiness. :( it is a shame, it is such a cool fish! I hope the fish you have in mind is different from this one, that way it will be easy to care for. :)

(The book is Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael)

Attachments

• image-3822704799.jpg
    image-3822704799.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 82
Been tweaking my stocking list. I took off a few fish for various reasons and added some. lol

Here's where I am at now

Kleins Butterfly
Half black angel
flame hawk- pair maybe?
Bi-color goatfish- maybe but would like
Yellow Bream-
Wrasses-
lubbock
McCosker
Vroliks
Carpenter
red Coris

And one of these two, leaning towards the peppermint

peppermint hogfish
Cuban Hogfish- gets kinda large but very cool

What do you think of the list now?

Been tweaking my stocking list. I took off a few fish for various reasons and added some. lol

Here's where I am at now

Kleins Butterfly
Half black angel
flame hawk- pair maybe?
Bi-color goatfish- maybe but would like
Yellow Bream-
Wrasses-
lubbock
McCosker
Vroliks
Carpenter
red Coris

And one of these two, leaning towards the peppermint

peppermint hogfish
Cuban Hogfish- gets kinda large but very cool

What do you think of the list now?
Looks good. But 5 wrasses? Wouldn't they fight or something?

The only one that isnt peaceful is supposed to be the red coris. They are all about 3-5" at maturity as well. Not sure if they will fight, just figured they would be ok. LOL

Anyone know if wrasses will fight each other? Like what if I got all males then there wouldnt be any females to get aggressive over. lol

Thanks!

Well 12 days has gone by and nothing. Still sitting on the 55g, guess no one is buying used tanks at christmas. :-(

I did just order 2 new aqueon 950 powerheads for this tank. I figured I';d try out another brand besides koralia. I am gonna take the 2 750's I had for this tank and put them in the 125g. I plan on using 4 powerheads in there with the new controller I am gonna get so I figured the 90g could get an upgraded pump.

Hope the aqueons are good, I've heard only good things about them. :)

Oh I've been thinking about getting another wrasse for my tank and the guy at the lfs said most don't get along unless you have room and rock for them

I asked my lfs today about multiple wrasses and he said it can be done, just have to get peaceful wrasses. Not sure how many i will end up with though, only maybe 3 are readily available and reasonable priced so who knows.
lol

carey said:
Well 12 days has gone by and nothing. Still sitting on the 55g, guess no one is buying used tanks at christmas. :-(

I did just order 2 new aqueon 950 powerheads for this tank. I figured I';d try out another brand besides koralia. I am gonna take the 2 750's I had for this tank and put them in the 125g. I plan on using 4 powerheads in there with the new controller I am gonna get so I figured the 90g could get an upgraded pump.

Hope the aqueons are good, I've heard only good things about them. :)

Sorry that your tank hasn't sold yet, the day will come soon! Congrats on your new pumps! Let us know how they work once they come in. :)

I hope I can't get three Wrasses for my 125g too. I really like the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses. Carpenters are nice too! :-D

I've seen tanks listed with 5-7 wrasses, so they can get along. They are pretty, I keep going back and forth between a few wrasses or a trio of anthias. I'm sure your tank will sell, keep renewing it too.

Thanks Lefty. :) Since I'm going with glass lids on this tank I figured now would be my chance to get some wrasses since they are notorious jumpers. Although a few minutes ago while I was sitting in front of the 125g my anthias jumped out of the water splashing me about 3 feet away! LOL Wasn't aware they would or could do that. hehe...
I'd vote for the trio probably, I've been thinking of getting a female or two for my male. They are very active fish and always all over my tank so i think you'd like that

carey said:
Thanks Lefty. :) Since I'm going with glass lids on this tank I figured now would be my chance to get some wrasses since they are notorious jumpers. Although a few minutes ago while I was sitting in front of the 125g my anthias jumped out of the water splashing me about 3 feet away! LOL Wasn't aware they would or could do that. hehe...
I'd vote for the trio probably, I've been thinking of getting a female or two for my male. They are very active fish and always all over my tank so i think you'd like that

Ohh my, that must have scared you!

I think a trio would look cool too Lefty! I like the Wrasse idea too though. :)

Just got an email, some lady wants my live rock from the 55g!! the boyfriend also said if i sell the live rock and sand we can move THAT one into the garage and then move the 90g into the dining room!!

The woman is handicapped who wants the rock so she said she needs her son to drive her over when he's available and that won't be til tuesday. :-(

But its a good sign! I may be moving some tanks for xmas lol

In a perfect world i can have this 90g up and running by christmas!

I've also pretty much decided that I am gonna rob the 125g reef of some of it's 250+ lbs of live rock so I don't really have to cycle this tank. LOL I am soo tired of waiting I just want it up. Think about 75lbs of live rock and 30-50lbs of base will avoid a cycle?

:-D

Since I bought my tanks all used, I never cycled a tank, so I don't now yet what you mean about waiting. I'm pretty much starting with dry rock on the new one, no pests, no bubble algae, etc.

If you were near me I'd take the 55. I've been looking for one locally for a couple weeks

Just keep plugging away, you'll find one. :) everyone and their mother is selling them near me so theres not much I can do but wait it out.

Good luck though!

Back
Top Bottom