Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #321
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So I went and looked at the $270 stand again yesterday. ODes it matter if the stand has a top? they have a cheaper one thats not as tall and just hold the tank on an open frame. the taller one I want has a flat top surface. I was told I'd have to drill out a hole for the drilled hole area. BUT is there any difference in having that extra support or not?

I'm really stuck still, I just need the stand. I was thinking on having one custom built but I'd like to know the answer about the top piece before I call the carpenter guy. Also, is it advisable to have a side door on the stand? It seems like a nifty idea but is it of any use?

thanks as always guys. getting closer I can FEEL it!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #322
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't see why a top would matter. Unless u like the look of the top or not.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #323
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I mean the top of the cabinet isnt open. Not the canopy thing. You cant even tell when the tank is set on it. Just wondering if its enough support for the tank.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #324
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will work. If you like it call it an option
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #325
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh ok. Sorry I miss took it for the other.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #326
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was thinking the side door would allow me to put in jugs or buckets for an ATO system, well, when I get to that stage. LOL

Any thoughts on the stand having a plywood top or open frame?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #327
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't think it matters. My 210 has a top to the stand but all the weight it all on the frame anyway. So would think without would be best. Then u don't have to drill
Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, not looking forward to drilling. lol The only sell point on the one with the top is that it is taller on the inside and my skimmer will fit in better. It's $80 less just to get the shorter and not covered stand. But I do want a stand I won't grow out of too quickly. hehe don't wanna have to do a move job.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #329
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I would say go with the taller of the two. Shame it's a bit more pricy
Old 09-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #330
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i also have the option of getting a prcie from a carpenter locally who does stands. Just wanna know what is the best option before calling him and getting a quote. It may even come out a bit cheaper with the carpenter, his strating price for a stand is $143. He adds $25 for a floor( which I want) and $25 for a top piece. Also charges for fancy doors but I don't need those. lol Plus it would be unfinished I believe so no idea how much to get one in black. And I'm a really bad painter. I mean really bad. hehe i can barely paint the background glass competently.

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com