Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. i was actually gonna give mr coral a shot too. I appreciate the heads up. saltwaterfish may be my next try. lol

I didn't plan on the six line being aggressive, I thought he'd be very mellow. Theres a mistake right there i made, hopefully he won't be too much of an issue.

is your heart set on a cc starfish? or are you open to red african stars too? same family just brilliant red markings and knobs.

carey said:
Thanks. i was actually gonna give mr coral a shot too. I appreciate the heads up. saltwaterfish may be my next try. lol

I didn't plan on the six line being aggressive, I thought he'd be very mellow. Theres a mistake right there i made, hopefully he won't be too much of an issue.

Try bluezooaquatics. I've never ordered fish online anywhere else (even la cuz of shipping. 7 day guarantee and free ship on orders 140 and up as well as free Blenny or zooanthids on orders 200 and up.

carey said:
A LONG LONG post, sorry! But thanks to everyone who reads and if you have any comments please feel free to post! I love thread interaction! lol

Updates and Observations

The five fish in the tank are all doing very well still. The butterfly is gonna get fat cause that fish eats anything and everything. I even got her to eat pellets today. The only fish that didn't take pellets was the squirrel fish, but I didn't expect him to. Unexpected behavior from my sixline, he seems very very aggressive. is this normal? he is going after my new hermits and the other wrasse here and there.....

I got my reefs2go order this afternoon. I ordered 20 nerites and 20 hermits for this tank and got 4 frags of zooas (3 were a replacement for a crappy order i got last week). The snails and hermits all arrived alive and are getting their places in the tank. The corals are another story. :-( I was going to make a thread about it but I'll just mention it here since they are a sponsor. The frags were terrible. I got 4 frags that were supposed to be 5 polyps each for a total of 20 polyps, I have maybe 6 polyps that look viable. Last week I got 5 frags and of a total of 25 polyps maybe 5 were good. I gave them 2 chances and lets just say I won't be ordering any more coral from them. CUC maybe, but not corals.

ALSO, been thinking and researching the rest of the stocking for this tank. I know I wasn't going to put a tang in it but I think I have to now. Just saw this guy, he's out of stock but I'm on the email list for one.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: White Tail Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus flavicauda

he is awesome! Like a chevron tang but i can have it in a 90g! lol

Since I want the tang i will drop the goatfish and hogfish that i was going to stock.

Instead I will get: ( I know it sounds like a lot of wrasses, its a goal may not get them all)

Tang
Lubbocks Wrasse
Carpenter wrasse
McCosker wrasse
red Coris Wrasse

Also want to add a midas blenny and a diamond goby when the time comes that my sandbed is good enough to support him. Also want to get a chocolate chip starfish soon, I really want one!

I still have the corals from my 20g rimless in this 90g, they were doing so poorly and now under the ATI's and a decent fixture they are doing so much better. Just watching for any coral nipping since some of my fish arent supposed to be coral safe.

Thats all! Finally done typing and youre done reading! LOL

Any and all input or critique is welcome!

Also, been testing daily and no ammonia or nitrites. Just about 5-10 trates steady. pretty sure the water didn't kill the angel, will be testing more and watching closely. :-D

Thanks for posting the update, I enjoyed reading it. That Tang looks really nice, I think he is a great choice. :)

My Sixline was pretty aggressive too.

I just got my stuff from reefs as well. Inverts were ok, small but ok. My chalk bass, 6 line, and blue damsel were ok, all but damsel small. Corals...im not getting corals from them again either. All extremely small and having trouble. Xenia is smaller than the nail on my pinkey and most of it fell off amd floated away. Im going back to saltwaterfish.com for my corals if i order again. Like to stick with lfs...shipping hirts.hurts

Dary said he's been using Extremecorals and from what I see they look really great. Mostly soft corals though, not much SPS.

I really like the tang, very cool coloring.

As for the sixline, he was the party starter in my tank. He got all the other fish to come out and swim. Zero aggression, even with a flame angel. HOWEVER, no other wrasses were in my tank.

Thanks for the update on reefs2go, I had planned an order this week as all ricordeas are $13. Guess I'll hit up the LFS instead.

I've got the frags in my 125g on frag racks so here's hoping some more polyps open soon, I dropped over $100 and would like something for my money. LOL

I was thinking chocolate chip starfish cause i figured it would be easier to care for and I could put it in a new tank. I know starfish generally require an established tank to feed so I was hoping to avoid that pitfall.

Any other suggestions for a starfish that can go in a new tank? Also, CAN I even get a starfish with the fish stock I have and plan on getting? Some of the fish are marked as "with caution" as far as reef inhabitants but it doesnt get to the nitty gritty on why. lol

Thanks everyone for the great comments and for following. Always appreciated. :-D

big stars like the cc or african general star or african red star dont need established tanks. just good water and i know yours is good. they eat silversides and shrimp. i feed ours 2x a week. sunday and wednesday. sense your keeping this as a fowlr with caution reef wise isnt a big deal. i heard puffers and triggers may nip or eat at a big star. if you plan on anything reefy in this tank big star is out. sweetie pie lost some flower pot corals to ours. now he is in the empty 125

Oh, this tank is for sure staying fish only. I was just concerned that one of the fish would eat the starfish. lol I do prefer the red knobby looking stars, I had a red one in the reef but it slowly disinegrated over a week or so. :-(

Can you have more than one star fish? Like a red one and a CC one? Or will they attack each other?

carey said:
Oh, this tank is for sure staying fish only. I was just concerned that one of the fish would eat the starfish. lol I do prefer the red knobby looking stars, I had a red one in the reef but it slowly disinegrated over a week or so. :-(

Can you have more than one star fish? Like a red one and a CC one? Or will they attack each other?

Yes you can. I have the general with two sea serpents.

i think its ok to have two in your tank. ha our african whatever it is tried to chase down the sand sifting star. or at least thats what it looked like.... a slow race. after about a foot the big star decided to hang out on the glass.

Just brought home a new fish!! A flame Hawk! woot! been wanting one for quite some time. He's acclimating now. Also paid for a red coris wrasse today, he just came in so the store will hold him til next week as a precaution. :)

All the fish are doing well still, the butterfly continues to eat like a pig and the bream has taken on a very neat personable quality, always looking at what youre doing and very inquisitive. Hope he makes it to big size, he's still so small. lol

Will have pictures up soon!

Yep Twitch, thats exactly why i've been waiting to do a fowlr with NO shrimp lol

Just put in the flame hawk and some mysis and brine and he ate so looks like he is gonna be ok. :) Always love when a new fish eats right away, makes me worry less.

Here are some pictures of the 90g and some of the fish, once I started snapping away with the camera i couldnt stop! LOL

img_1752139_0_3a284d86eb51cd9216484b94b1cdb7a9.jpg

img_1752139_1_1457891a60dd1d931c905485dd230a30.jpg

img_1752139_2_8d2f3ba17abe35104c6929268d8ec5f7.jpg

img_1752139_3_01e9ae121285cfaf14552744637f0215.jpg

img_1752139_4_d18c8c49d847ad3d2277872f5245607e.jpg

img_1752139_5_e63f3a776e099a128daf3b726fc6c815.jpg

Thanks so much! :) Always appreciate kind words.

So far one small issue with the flame hawk, my butterfly is chasing it! I turned the lights down to blues hoping it will chill out some. I got like the easiest and most wimpy butterfly too!

Back
Top Bottom