Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can follow to the last fish is added or the tank gets loaded on someones truck. LOL

I'm really liking theidea of a coral free tank so I can get all the fish I really want but cant have. I'm starting to get excited now just thinking about it.

I do need to put 200% into selling the 2 55's though, thats kind of part of the deal with the b/f. He is NOT happy about the 90g being kept.

I've been scraping blue paint off the back of one of the 55's all morning and it stinks let me tell ya. It's like 90 degrees in the garage and its making my life miserable. But I gotta do what I gotta do to have this tank. hehehe

BUT I also need to be confident I can hook this predrilled up properly, I may be in above my head on this one.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would not use any aquarium sealant on the bulkhead gaskets. these will last for 20 years if they are installed correctly.
i didn't read all the posts before me so excuse any redundancy.
you need 2 bulkheads to fit in those 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow. you will need a "durso" standpipe inside the overflow, which should bring the water to just a little lower than the display tank water level. otherwise, you'll have a waterfall sound that will be quite annoying. this should have come with the tank. if not, they are easy to make. google "durso standpipe".
the return will also have a piece of pvc pipe bringing it up to the top of the overflow and then to a 90 on top, and then to a piece of locline.

as far as the wet/dry sump thing, i wouldn't even use it. i would use one of the 55's as a sump with refugium and get a quality skimmer, or just use one giant centralized sump for all of your tanks. that's the best way. go buy a 100 gallon stock tank or something and put it in the basement. one skimmer, one water change, one set of parameters to deal with.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wish I had a basement, here in florida its slab foundations.

If I were to sue the supplied sump how woudl I go about the dual intake on the sump versus the 2 drilled holes on the bottom? Would teeing off the one into two to go into the sump be wise? I also have a mag 9 for the return pump so if not enough water goes into the sump. well than thats an issue.

I pretty much think I can get the return part part of this thing set up, I think anyways, but theintake has me puzzled. Woudl using just one of the dual inouts on the sump be a bad thing or would it not be enough water to keep things balanced out as far as water level?

And lastly, I am being pushed to sell this whole setup but I am not liking the idea so I am on a budget with this one. I planned on fish only, maybe even aggressive fish. Havent thought that far ahead yet.

Thanks as always X...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

there will be enough water going into the sump because i believe those overflows are rated for 1200gph or so.
if the intake on the sump is the same diameter as the drain on the tank, you will only need one. if not, you can T the drain into 2.
yeah, i'm on a slab too, so i will most likely be putting a centralized sump close to the floor.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i would not use any aquarium sealant on the bulkhead gaskets. these will last for 20 years if they are installed correctly.
i didn't read all the posts before me so excuse any redundancy.
you need 2 bulkheads to fit in those 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow. you will need a "durso" standpipe inside the overflow, which should bring the water to just a little lower than the display tank water level. otherwise, you'll have a waterfall sound that will be quite annoying. this should have come with the tank. if not, they are easy to make. google "durso standpipe".
the return will also have a piece of pvc pipe bringing it up to the top of the overflow and then to a 90 on top, and then to a piece of locline.

as far as the wet/dry sump thing, i wouldn't even use it. i would use one of the 55's as a sump with refugium and get a quality skimmer, or just use one giant centralized sump for all of your tanks. that's the best way. go buy a 100 gallon stock tank or something and put it in the basement. one skimmer, one water change, one set of parameters to deal with.
Ok, just a newbie here asking what might be a dumb questions. I really like the idea (just tied to ponds into one system) but, if one tank has a problem, they ALL have a problem correct?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, but a seemingly big problem in a small tank is now a tiny problem in a massive system.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think just using one line is enough. that one inch line can move a lot of water.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I;m almost done rehabbing one 55g so as soon as I move that setup I will start fidgeting with the 90g. I'm learning ALOT from you guys and I appreciate it greatly!

There will more than likely be another 100 posts on how to do this all so I hope you all stick around.

My first sump for my 125 scared the everloving out of me, but now I;m more familiar with how that that works so I think it just might be the plumbing that gets me on this.

One silly question though, if the power goes out how much water will flood back into the sump? Just the amount that is over the "teeth" on the built in overlfow box? There are also more notches further down the box but it has a double wall inside it seems. SOO would it just work like a regular overflow box? Will I still have to have a hole in my return fixture at the water line to avpoid the back siphoning that may occur? Or is there some way to incorporate a check valve into the plumbing?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes. just what can "overflow", will head to the sump, along with whatever is back siphoned via the return line. that's why it's suggested to drill a hole in the return line plumbing just below the water line inside the DT. you need to break siphon there as soon as possible or it will siphon back until the end of the locline is sucking air. in some cases, that could be 4 or 5 inches of water.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I have the hole drilled in my 125g and it works like a charm. Love that little trick!

So would all the water inside the black overflow box return to the sump then? Since the holes are drilled on the bottom of the tank would all the water contained behind the black box go to the sump? It looks to hold a few gallons at least. BUT if I use this sump I dont' have to keep the water level so high like I do in my refugium so I believe I would have a good amount of room for any backflow. The sump will hold I believe 25g or so.

Is there a site where you can calculate the amount of water the sump will hold? I went to sealifes website but couldnt find this exact model so I don't even know what gph it's rated at let alone the water volume.

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com