Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah, I was also going to say that he could be hiding like Candy or the Yellow Watchman did!

I wanted to ask you....waht is your water change system? (like as far as taking water out, where does it go, putting water back in, how you get it there, how long it all takes etc.) Thanks.

I have two 32g brute garbage cans about 15ft away from both tanks on the patio out back. I use a mag drive hooked up to hosing and drain the tank that way, much faster than the python I was using. lol Then I have my B/f at the ready near the can and he drops the same pump in the can to fill the tank back up. I'm guessing it's about a half hour job start to finish. I hold the hose to fill the tank and when I say 'when" the b/f pulls the pump.

It's still a major ordeal doing the water changes but it's much better than the buckets I was using. I used to fill up like 15 buckets and do it the really hard way. lol

You can use any pump to do the changes with, even a smaller one if necessary. Rio makes some really cheap pumps or even maybe an aquatraders one. It used to take me hours with the buckets. i also used to drain into buckets so I could see how much water I took out. LOL so thats like 30 buckets to lug. i also only put 3g in the buckets since I'm a chick and can't lift them with a full 5g in them. lol Even using the python will help you out if you have one.

You have to make the water changes easy and more pleasant or you won't keep doing them. LOL

I have two 32g brute garbage cans about 15ft away from both tanks on the patio out back. I use a mag drive hooked up to hosing and drain the tank that way, much faster than the python I was using. lol Then I have my B/f at the ready near the can and he drops the same pump in the can to fill the tank back up. I'm guessing it's about a half hour job start to finish. I hold the hose to fill the tank and when I say 'when" the b/f pulls the pump.

It's still a major ordeal doing the water changes but it's much better than the buckets I was using. I used to fill up like 15 buckets and do it the really hard way. lol

So the pump drains the water out of the tank by reverse siphoning? Or is the pump in the tank? Thanks!

I actually drop the pump into the main tank and turn it on. The hose goes to the bathroom which is like 6 feet away, into the tub.

I use either a 5 or a 7. They are both 1/2 inch fittings. If you go to a mag 9 then it's 3/4 inch. :)

I only use such expensive pumps cause i happen to have them. You can get the same result from a rio pump too. ;-)

I even use a maxi jet pump now to water change my 20g and the cube. I just use it to drain into buckets instead of me ladling water out. It seems to be an easier time on the fish as well.

Thanks! So regardless what pump you buy, how many GPH should it have?

My 125g and 55g are in my basement, so I need one to get it up the stairs, LOL.

oh, if youre going to be running a long length then I would suggest the biggest pump you can get. I'm only going 15 feet give or take. Can it go out a basement window maybe?

There actually is one but on the other side of the basement, LOL. No fair, now I will have to pay a fortune for a pump, :lol:

Thanks for the help!!

redsea said:
There actually is one but on the other side of the basement, LOL. No fair, now I will have to pay a fortune for a pump, :lol:

Thanks for the help!!

Aquatraders one isn't bad at all. It's not the best pump but it runs quiet and doesn't have too much heat to it. Another alternative is a pond pump.

Woke up this morning and couldn't find the butterfly. :-( Found him under some rocks getting feasted on. Not sure why he died, water is good and he was fine last night, eating like a pig as ususal.

This has been a hard week on the 90g. First the midas jumping blenny and now the kleins butterfly. Total bummer.....

Just thought of something....Do you think fish can die from palytoxin poisoning like humans can? (Since he ate some zoas). That probably isn't it since it was a few weeks ago and they probably eat them in the wild, but it just popped into my mind as a possible death cause.

Again, I am really sorry for your loss of the Butterfly.

How is this tank doing? Its one of my favorites!

Did you decide against the Goatfish? If so do you have any other fish in mind?

If i wasn't broke I would have that goatfish already . lol I get paid next week so if they still have it i for sure am getting it. :)

My b/f goes back to work tomorrow so i may be making some tank videos! It seems like forever since i did one. lol

If i wasn't broke I would have that goatfish already . lol I get paid next week so if they still have it i for sure am getting it. :)

My b/f goes back to work tomorrow so i may be making some tank videos! It seems like forever since i did one. lol

Cool!

I love tank videos by the way, they are so much fun to watch, I can't wait!

Picked up a bi color goatfish today! he's a little bigger than I had hoped but I think he'll fit in fine. :-D

At least I think he is a goatfish, I'm looking at him now and I'm starting to think otherwise. lol

Here is a shot of him, he's just temp acclimating for now.

img_1951944_0_eb68df7ea79074d67a90c197e0b91d55.jpg

After a few minutes of research I have found it is NOT a goatfish but a Coral Hogfish. Aggressive and not at all reef safe. LA says it can pick on smaller fish so I'm hoping I got a mellow one.

Shame on me for getting fooled! I havent been "had" in over a year. LOL

Well he's mine now so I'll let him do his thing.

Back
Top Bottom