Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out a Copperband butterfly. Those are awesome

I don't think all butterflies are hard to care for. I think some would certainly be easier to feed than your mandarin and scooter. Good luck!

Ya the tusks are very expensive, and it stinks because they are so cool! And I'm sorry about the groupers, but there is a fish called a blue hamlet that looks to me alot like a grouper, maybe you should check it out :)

if i was in the market for a butterfly, i would want to see it eat before i bought it. especially a copper banded.
i've kept multiple wrasses together before. i hear they don't do well together but the ones i kept never left each others side (these were different species).

Woohoo another tank:dance::popcorn::dance::popcorn:. Sorry am a little behind the times, just saw the thread was started and it's on page 9 already. LOL. Congrats!!!! Yep pics pics pics (I can learn while you post hehehe) oh my bad, was that selfish? Hope not, gotta learn from my SW Mommie :):ermm:

carey said:
Well thats good news. I think i willgo with two angels. :) Now to decide on the other inhabitants.

Would a butterfly be really that hard to keep? I only know from what I hear here and research and it seems they dont' immediately eat. I've been down that road before with my scooter and my mandarin.

I had a couple before when I had a fowlr. They ate garlic supplemented flakes the next day. It was a pearl scale and a vagabond butterfly fish. I think those are a couple hardy species.

Yep, heard that about the copperbands, I wasnt gonna go full throttle on one like that, was just wondering if they all have the same eating issues. So one is added to my wish list. :)

Along with two wrasses.

I don't plan on ever adding corals to this tank and will be stocking it with minimal rock so there should be some room in there for a few fish.

I also don't wanna overstock as the 90 seems big, from my experiences with 125g's it's not as big as you'd think.

Would an eel be a compatible option for what I'm looking at so far?

Oh and I won't be adding any triggers just so you know. My buddy has one so I can alwasys go over there to see hers. lol

IMO, eels are overrated. they seldom come out of hiding. all you see is the head and some times not even that. you can get an engineer goby. they look like an eel and are always doing some slithering through the rock.

Yeah, I;m on the line with the eel. I saw one that was bllck and red at my lfs and all it did was swim around, mostly top to bottom. Looked very active. But I also don't want one that will be likely to slither out of the tank somehow.

So far my stocking is looking like this:

Lemonpeel angel
another undetermined angel
exquisite wrasse
undetermined wrasse
undetermined butterfly (maybe)

Any other suggestion for a never to be reef tank? Can I have any inverts like snails, crabs or shrimp with the above fish? Also, would a chocloate chip starfish be appropriate in this type of setup? I;d love an easy to care for starfish. :)

There was a huge rock structure on the bottom of the lfs tank, it had other eels in it. He has an eels only setup for one tank. So maybe you were right and it didnt have enough hiding spaces for each eel. I believe he had 3 in there and a huge lionfish.

Exqusites hard to care for or are they just too colorful for your tastes? I want color in this tank and activity from them.

gonna go check out some of the wrasses at the link.

Thanks!

OOO loving the banana wrasse, the pinkface and the tusk too! But the tusk recommends a 125g. Is that for the swimming room like tangs or is it the size of the fish? cause I would love to have one of them!

I'm gonna go peruse my book of saltwater fish now, see what they say.

This is the fun part, planning stock. The not so fun part will be the plumbing. But I'm thinking more and more I might be able to handle it. At first i was overwhelmed with the setup but I think with you guys support and help I can do it. I love a good challenge, thats what I live for, and research. It's kinda my "thing" lol.

as a side question, are there any aggressive or semi aggressive fish that school? Or is the 90 too small for that kind of thing. I'm hoping to get my schooling fix with some blue reef chromis in my 125g but it's worth an asking for this tank as well. It will be front and center in my dining room so I wnat ti to be stunning. hehe...don't we all strive for that?

Ha to me the plumbing and planning the mechanics is the fun part. There are too many stocking options that confuse me now.

I imagine your over thinking the pluming.

Ya know what, you're probably right. I stressed for weeks about the sump for the 125g only to find out it wasn't so difficult. The only issue i had was the regular overlfow box and I went out and got a continious siphon box and all has been well since.

I just see pictures peoples setups with all this pvs going everywhere and it just looks so daunting! I showed my b/f a picture of one such setup yesterday and he was like thats not too bad. lol But I can't include him in my build as I think he is kinda mad about the new tank and the dozen others I have strewn about the house. lol He doesn't even like to help me lift the lights off the 125g when I need to get in there. lol

BUT if it has to do with the 125g cichlid tank he's all for helping if I ask. lol
Silly men....hehe...

But he enjoys all the tanks and is contantly showing them off to people when they come over so I guess maybe he can be tapped for this project. But I also would like to be able to say I did it all myself.

Eels can be fun. I have one and yea I never see him when the main lights r on. But when they go off he starts coming out. Even let's me hand feed him now with out any troubles. But he does spend most of his time in the PVC pipe Going throughout the tank.

I read that you didn't want puffers but id recommend closely watching one at your lfs for 15-20 minutes..they have a very unique personalities and once they know you, they get excited to see you:) like lil dogs

I totally understand that, they are like a small puppy at my lfs. He has a few of them and some will even spit water at you when they want food!

My majot concern is the poisonous aspect. Can't they secrete a poison that can nuke your tank? And also, they can't be netted form I've read.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom