Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #531
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'm so exited Buffy! Tomorrow I go pick up the 75g setup. I will post pictures when I get home with it.

I plan on setting the 90g on the stand and painting the back finally. lol When you guys see the pictures you all can help me decide if I should paint the stand. I'm also gonna have fun playing with all the toys! Reactors, sumps and pumps OH MY! LOL
So awesome! I really want to see this tank up and running!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #532
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Getting so close now, I can't wait for morning. lol We borrowed van and are leaving at 8 am, it's an hour away. I also got my qt tank setup tonight, turned out it is about 25g so it should work fine for my needs.

The only thing that I'm still uncertain about are the halides that are coming with this 75g setup. I may not be able to use them as I will be using glass lids on the 90g as I want a bunch of wrasses. So the heat may be a factor. Plus the halides are probably way overkill for just a fowlr tank. LOL

Old 11-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #533
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you got your QT setup! As far as the halides go, I would sell them and then buy a fixture you want and maybe have money left over. Either way have fun tomorrow!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #534
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got my tank and stand! woot! Following are some pictures of the goodies I got.

I've been thinking that i don't want to paint the stand though, I have light wood colored pergo throughout my house so the oak color should go alright with the house, just all my other tanks have black stands. lol painting this stand would be a nightmare I think so I'm leaning towards just leaving it.

Also picked up some hose, drill bits for drilling out the overflow holes into the stand and some painters tape so I can start painting the tank's background.

Lots to do today! Plan on using the jbj ATO on the 125g along with the 5g tank the guy gave me for the resevoir. He also gave me some powerstrips that are killer so I might re do all the wiring under the 125g as well.

here is what I got today, witht he 90g already on the stand.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #535
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is a shot of the halides on, the blue and white led's are totally useless. :-(

Also, see the glass canopy on the 75g tank? Thats what the guy was using under neath the halide fixture so that the glass wouldnt break from the heat. Do you think it will be good enough to prevent my glass lids from cracking? If it's not gonna work I can always sell this fixture for a couple hundred and get a less powerful light. The light does look good though, I must admit. LOL

Old 11-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #536
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sell it and get the new LED Reef Oddysea fixture from aquatraders. It looks sleek and gives you a nice shimmer effect.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #537
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would sell the light too, . I am glad everything went well today, it is great that you have the stand for the 90g now!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #538
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I guess the vote is to sell the light. lol It's too bad too cause I would have killed for this light on my 55g. But I figure I'll try to get $250 for it and get this instead:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It's a quad t5 but it's got a timer so it should be fine for my needs.

I'm still messing with the 125g now but I'm hoping to get the 90g taped off on the back so I can paint it tonight or tomorrow morning.

What do you guys think of the stand? Think it will look ok with the black tank? You can't even see the bottom black rim as it's hidden by the wood. It's just you can see the effort and work this guy put into the stand, it was all sanded oak and stained by hand. It's got so many coats of clear on it too not even sure paint would adhere unless I sanded it first.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #539
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Well I guess the vote is to sell the light. lol It's too bad too cause I would have killed for this light on my 55g. But I figure I'll try to get $250 for it and get this instead:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It's a quad t5 but it's got a timer so it should be fine for my needs.

I'm still messing with the 125g now but I'm hoping to get the 90g taped off on the back so I can paint it tonight or tomorrow morning.

What do you guys think of the stand? Think it will look ok with the black tank? You can't even see the bottom black rim as it's hidden by the wood. It's just you can see the effort and work this guy put into the stand, it was all sanded oak and stained by hand. It's got so many coats of clear on it too not even sure paint would adhere unless I sanded it first.
I say you don't paint the tank, save yourself the work since it looks nice and you already like it.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #540
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just put the second coat of paint on the back of the tank. Not sure how it will look when dry cause the paint started to buckle when I put the second coat on. :-(

I've been thinking of what pump I want to use with this setup, I have a mag 7 that came with the 75g stuff but I also have a mag 9.5 brand new. Which one would be better to use?

I'm gonna list the mh lighting fixture, I decided I don't want to take a chance of the heat breaking the glass lids. Also gonna keep the stand the oak color, the more I look at it the more I like it. lol

Gonna have a bunch more questions as I work on this so bear with me!

Here's the tank all painted up

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com