Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #541
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Just put the second coat of paint on the back of the tank. Not sure how it will look when dry cause the paint started to buckle when I put the second coat on. :-(

I've been thinking of what pump I want to use with this setup, I have a mag 7 that came with the 75g stuff but I also have a mag 9.5 brand new. Which one would be better to use?

I'm gonna list the mh lighting fixture, I decided I don't want to take a chance of the heat breaking the glass lids. Also gonna keep the stand the oak color, the more I look at it the more I like it. lol

Gonna have a bunch more questions as I work on this so bear with me!

Here's the tank all painted up
Wow, fantastic job. It looks great!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #542
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks, it took awhile to tape off the back and actually paint, I'm doing it by hand. lol

Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #543
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks, it took awhile to tape off the back and actually paint, I'm doing it by hand. lol
I bet! I would never have the patience to paint a tank. I would probably mess up too! Then again maybe after a little practice I would get the hang of it.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #544
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So I go out to the garage this morning and all the paint peeled off. :-(

I went to home depot and they gave me a clear primer to use so I just finished putting that on the tank. Hopefully that will work. bah! what a bummer...
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #545
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I go out to the garage this morning and all the paint peeled off. :-(

I went to home depot and they gave me a clear primer to use so I just finished putting that on the tank. Hopefully that will work. bah! what a bummer...
Really sorry about that carey.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #546
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carey,I've never understood,why paint the back of your tank when the tape to reversible black/blue backgrounds are so cheap and easy to use or switch.Especially when the back of your tank will be covered in Coraline eventually anyway.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #547
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've used the reversible backgrounds and it's always a pain to get them to stay and cut just right. LOL After I painted my first tank I realized how much easier and better it is. Just me though, and I'm a tad strange.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #548
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've used the reversible backgrounds and it's always a pain to get them to stay and cut just right. LOL After I painted my first tank I realized how much easier and better it is. Just me though, and I'm a tad strange.
I hear you. I'll just about do anything to avoid painting anything.LOL
Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #549
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hopefully that primer will work. My self I'd airbrush the paint and primer if needed. What type of paint did you use.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #550
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have for primer, lol, Martha Stewart clear, it's for painting tile and glass and I used regualr old latex for the black. I've used it about half a dozen times and it never peeled before. Always a first time I guess. hehe...

Anyone have any opinion on whether to use a mag 7 or a mag 9.5 return pump? It's a drilled 1" hole so I'm figuring on 600gph coming in and there will be about 4 foot of head loss as the tank is pretty darn tall.

The mag 9 has a 3/4 inch outlet which would be convenient since the return predrilled hole is also 3/4 inch while the mag 7 is at 1/2 inch. I'm a big fan of water circulation so I'm leaning towards the 9.5.

Any input welcome, since I am working on the plumbing and have no idea I would appreciate any help I can get.

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com